mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:37 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

out of curiosity, does the positioning of the food and water bowls in the viv matter at all? obviously it's not advisable to put them near the basking area, but because I place mine on the very far end of the viv where its coolest and also under one of the shelves built into the viv where he doesn't really venture often, I wondered if this could be a contributing factor to the whole 'not eating veg or drinking water' issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Shouldn't make any real difference and as for not drinking, it's something they don't do as they get all the moisture they need from a mix of veg and live food. One problem with failure to eat veg is usually due to the breeder failing to start them on veg when hatched. All ours are provided with veg from day 3 and don't leave until they're 8 weeks old and eating veg and live food. If this doesn't happen then it can be a long haul getting them to eat veg. Usually it ends with you basically starving them until they start on the veg then letting them have live again.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

oh, i'm not looking forward to that. I have seen him nip at it, but it was only the once. I've placed a few mini meal worms in there also, just to encourage him. does that seem like an ok idea?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It's worth a try but most beardies are good at shaking the worms loose from any veg!

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

while we're on this topic, when do you know when to reduce the number of feeding sessions? (I checked a few days ago, he's around 9.75" and weighed 44g) also, when the live feeds are reduced will this then encourage him to move around and eat his veg? he doesn't really seem to move from one area of the viv. I even have to literally pick him up and place him on the viv floor for him to go chase crix haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I've dropped our current babies back to a single feed daily at around 90 gms in weight and have cut back the amount to around 8~10 crix. A slow steady weight gain is healthier than a rapid increase.

Rick