mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buying a Beardie!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:31 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks Dragonback. We should pick up the Viv and all the bits next Tuesday, get that sorted during next week and pick up 'George' the following weekend! :mrgreen:

George
DoB: Early 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi All
I've got the viv set-up and we're picking George up on Friday (excited :mrgreen: ) Anyway, we've got the temperatures right following guidance from the shop we're buying from, but I am using a ExoTera hide as the basking spot and though the air temp is about right the surface temp is getting up to 150f. The bulb is as high in the viv as I can get it (on a dimming stat). Any suggestions on what I can do to reduce the surface temp of the basking spot? I'm thinking about getting a piece of sandstone to use instead, would this work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's a photo of my set-up (still need the climbing log and a large fern for the cool end, but it's pretty much done!)

George

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

i would use a cage for that bulb as near where dragon will bask and there can jump,have you tried a smaller wattage bulb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

No cage - they can jump and if they've something to hang on to they'll stay there (and in this case fry). Sandstone will help but also using a physically smaller spotlight such as a standard RO80 100 watt is probably the best way to go. From the looks I'm guessing you were sold a 150 watt Reptile lamp which really is over kill in that unit and as you know overheats the surface directly below it really badly.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:11 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks for the replies. I bought the whole set-up from a local shop they gave me the 250w bulb for the viv of that size. The owner's family has been breeding and importing reptiles for 130 years so I'm hoping he wouldn't steer me too wrong! I'm going by the shop today to talk to him about the temps, so I've got a few days to get things sorted before we collect George on Friday!

George

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Without being too argumentative a 250 watt light is so overkill as to be dangerous. A 4ft viv can be adequately heated with a 60 watt spotlight or as a maximum size 100 watt controlled by a dimming thermostat. I've got to ask - what temps are you getting at the cool end and about 5cm from the basking spot?
I've been building vivs for years now and even in a 6ft one the maximum wattage used has been 2 x 60 watt spots, really all you need do is get a normal RO80 spotlight rated at 100 watts and it'll be fine.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:53 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks Rick. I'm going to the shop tonight, so I'll pick up 100 watt. I'm running a dimming stat and the ambient temps are fine, I'm using 2 digital thermometers to measure the middle and cool end. The air temps around the basking spot were about right too, 105-110 (though I'm measuring the temp with a lead hanging next to the bulb about and inch about the surface). I've use an IR thermometer to measure the surface temps! Hopefully I can get it all sorted by Friday! Cheers!

George

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Got a 100 watt bulb and it's heating up the viv okay, but the surface temp of the basking spot is still above 50c. How much can beardies handle? I've swapped the fake rock hide for a bamboo log to try and reduce the surface temp. I'm having real trouble trying to find a piece of sandstone small enough.

George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:11 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Grab a bit from a garden centre then hit it with something heavy :lol: that usually works for me. Test the surface by putting your hand on it if you can keep your palm flat then it'll be OK, you can knock the basking spot temp back down to 100~105 as well quite safely.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Rick wrote:Grab a bit from a garden centre then hit it with something heavy :lol: that usually works for me. Test the surface by putting your hand on it if you can keep your palm flat then it'll be OK, you can knock the basking spot temp back down to 100~105 as well quite safely.

Rick

Good thinking that man, never thought about whacking it myself! :mrgreen: I assume I'll need to give it a wash and a spray with some reptile disinfectant. I'll have another check tonight of the surface temp. The bamboo log I'm using as the basking spot is fairly long so I assume he'll sit where he's most comfortable. I'm going to leave the viv on from tomorrow to get it up to temp ready for Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of George in his new home at the weekend. Thanks again for all your help and advice, it's greatly appreciated!!!

George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It's a good idea to run it for at least a day to see how it all settles down. They do position themselves where they're most comfortable but don't feel heat well through their belly so you do need to be aware of surface temps. If your hand's OK on it then they're OK. With the rock just a quick scrub then 15 minutes in the oven at 200 is enough.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Right, had everything running last night and the temps are looking good! We picked up some food from the supermarket last night, I need to get some Spring Greens today though. We've got kale, rocket, courgette, water cress, butternut squash. With the butternut squash, I've seen that people grate it, but is it better cooked or raw? It's pretty tough stuff.

George

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:20 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Keep it raw and grate it. No need to cook it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

We've never grated we just dice it into cubes (raw) it's good jaw exercise and those razor teeth have no trouble getting through it.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Tia wont eat it unless its grated :/ Not that she ever actually eats much of it anyway