mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help mites?!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 am 
EGG
EGG

Okay guys help me! i think my little one has mites! can see small black dots runnig around him on the kitchen towel substrate and can also see then on him! the little blighters! :( he is looking a littlw les happy today as he not really cominh out from under his log .. :(

I have read everypost on this forum that i can see and understand i need to bath him but how warm should the water be? ... also we will disinfect the viv... but what about his bowls & plastic cave? also the huge expensive wooden basking branch?! this wont fit in my oven after soaking so do i jus have to throw it away?! :( ...

does he need other medicinal treatment from a vet or will me treating him & his viv be enough?! how did he get these & will they keep coming back? x

1hubby -Steve
1daughter- Amelia-anais -2yrs old
1 baby bearded dragon - Dobbie

Post subject: Re: Help mites?!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Yes u need to clean the lot includeing the big branch,and the water needs to be luke warm as u would of done with your daughter,and most beardies are relitivly good swimmors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:36 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Mites can come in from anything, even if you've been handling aviary birds you can transmit them. No vet treatment required just the total disinfect. Try soaking the log in a 10% bleach solution let it dry and repeat in 10 days that should fix it. Same treatment for the viv disinfect and repeat in 10 days, that should catch any mites you miss (and their eggs).

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:49 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

As Rick says we have the same problemwith our log we had to soak it in the Wheelie Bin (it was a new bin at the time) and then leave to dry thoroughly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks guys im soakin everything now in the bathtub and ill disinfect the viv and bath dobby whist all the items are baking! .. once ive disinfected the viv and thouraghly dried it (gonna get the hairdryer on it too!) how soon can i put dobby back in as he has no where else to sleep and worried about taking him away from the UV for too long?...

Thanks muzza for the reassurance about the bath, i thought the same principle would have applied to him as it does my daughter ... luke warm it is .. i'm gutted i really didnt wanna bath him with him being so small but i guess when needs must .. i hope it doesnt stress him too much his belly & beard was just starting to whiten a little an stress lines fading bless him!

thanks again as always brilliant advice when needed!!

Jade x

1hubby -Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Once you have dried the viv and raised the temps back up should be fine to put him back in :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

1hubby -Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Leave the viv as bare as possible for 10 days so you can easily see if you have got them all otherwise you will have to start again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Lorraine... we spent all night last night sorting his stuff out! bathed him and brushed him over with a soft baby toothbrush & then soaked everything in a bleach bath... scrubbed them all rinsed them baked all items that i could fit in the oven... 200C for 10-15mins, now he only has his plastic cactus plant (which he is now using to bask on top of) and his baked bowls in there.. i will be leaving it as this for now ... question i do have now is regarding his big log... this was bleach bathed... then power showered and scrubbed then put into a plain cold bath & soaked in there for 2hrs...i will be repeating this process again today with a hot bleach bath, then scrubbing & showering & then soaking again in a clean water bath... my question is in a few days once it is completly dried out do i then put it into the viv or should i leave it out for 10days then repeat the process along with everything else & then put it in? x

thanks
xxxxx

1hubby -Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

It would proberley be safe to go ahead with it but if your in no rush giveing it a 2nd time over would be best just to make sure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

me personally for peace of mind i'd have thrown the log away and got another one, i know they can be expensive but i'd rather make sure the mites are gone :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm 
EGG
EGG

cannot afford to 'just throw' that money away especially if a few soakings can save it.. im quite happy that the treatment i have given all items & the viv should clear the mites & he is kept a very close eye on so shouldnt have too many repeat episodes anytimw soon x will keep it out for the 10days jus to be safe though- i have had a magnifying glass over the items he has back in there and him this morning and cannot see any evidence to say they are not gone today...x :) x

1hubby -Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Ye stick to what your doing jade just give it another going over in a couple of days to give them time if they are still there to start roaming around again, lynx can and a lighter and blast them with some heat lol only jokeing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Actually not a stupid idea. I use a small gas blow torch and run a flame over my logs where there are any cracks that I'm not sure about. Treating the log twice 10 days apart should work fine, this system has always worked OK for me.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:49 am 
EGG
EGG

i have blowdried allcracks with my hairdryer (that gets quite hot) done that in the viv too :)... strangly i do have a small gas blow torch so when i get up i will get onto it lol :D... btw, dobby is becoming bettermy the day - yesterday he climbed out over the front of the viv & into my hand :)x

1hubby -Steve