mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi my female dragon has just laid eggs and we are totally un prepared. all i have is a spare viv some onlt live food boxes and wet play sand . i have put a bowl of water in the viv with the eggs to keep the humidity up what else can i do .

also if one or too are soft is it possible that the whole lot will be infertile??
any help gratefully recived
thanks chaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:56 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

All the eggs should be soft to the touch and white to a light pink in colour. They really need to be in an incubator with the temp set at 28.3C +/- Has you female been mated? If not then the eggs are infertile and should just be disposed of.
You probably won't like this next bit of advice but honestly if you're unprepared for breeding and you dragon is a normal type then freezing the eggs now is really the best option. There is no market for babies and the time and money involved in raising them to an age (eight weeks) where they can be sold is very high. If you haven'y already I suggest you read the stickies on breeding at the top of this section, however if you do decide to continue with the eggs just come back with any queries you have and we will help.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi rick thank you for your information , we have decided to keep eggs as there are not that many and i have friends and family that want to take them off my hands when they are ready.
the eggs are now in an incubator , we did have a problem as after 12 hours they had got dehidrated as we couldnt get them in the incubator till next day, but some have bounced back now.
only problem is some have gone green and very squidggy does this mean they are bad ? and is this cause the substrate was to wet?
i am going to try and up load all the pictures of eggs from just laid up untill today hope this helps.
chaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If they've collapsed then they're probably infertile. A fertile egg should be plump, and at the moment a very slight pink shade.

Hope that helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 pm 
EGG
EGG

hiya i have used a flash light to shine on the plum eggs and they have red veins in them so from what i can tell fertile if thats the case we have 2 deffinate and 1 possible.