mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:04 am 
ok ive got a problem my bearded had her fist clutch of fertile eggs on the 20th of octorber she had 20 eggs and as u all know the first cluctch are alway pretty bad so they were bined anyway she never really stopped digging and in the last few days its got worse. as i was walking past her viv 10 mins ago i say an egg just 1 could this be from the 20 of octorber clutch or is it the start of the next the egg is pearl white but not very big looks infertile to me but im not an expert.
is it possible for her to get pregnant while she has eggs in her as we saw them at it around the 13th of octorber me and my mrs are very confused as we were told its every 30 days ???? is this a fact????

can someone please help me asap as i dont know what to do
thanks lee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:13 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

One mating can produce in excess of 3 batches of eggs all fertile. One of our females has produced eggs with a three week period in between layings so 18 days could be possible. When newly laid they do appear pearly white and also will swell once laid, so what you're seeing is almost certainly the beginnings of a second clutch. You dont still have them together do you? It really is not good for her long term health to be constantly mated.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:33 am 
THERES STILL ONLY 1 EGG I DONT HAVE ANY VERMIULITE TO PUT IT/THEM IN WHAT ELSE CAN I USE TILL TOMORROW WHEN I CAN GET THEM TO THE REPTILE SHOP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Slightly damp sand will do, but keep them in an area where they maintain a steady temp of around 28C. Don't you have a laying box for her?

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 am 
NO TRIED HER IN A LAY BOX A FEW TIME SHE JUST IGNORED IT AND WENT IN THE CORNER SO I JUST KEEP LOTS OF SAND IN THERE NOW FOR HER TO DIG IN
IVE FELT HER AND I CANT FEEL ANY MORE IN THERE SO THAT JUST MAKES 1 IS THIS POSSIBLE ???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

u all know the first cluctch are alway pretty bad
Not strictly true, I've never had a first clutch that was bad, small in numbers - yes - and on occasion a few have been infertile but I've never dumped a clutch just because it was a "first".

As far as your question here goes, I do have an infertile female who lays 5 eggs only and depending on how old your pair is (quite young if I remember right) one or both may well not be mature enough yet to breed properly. Why not separate them and if you really do want to breed then try again next year as it doesn't sound as if you will have any success this late in the season.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 pm 
shes 18 month hes 12 month ish
she still only had 1 egg from last night but shes digging like crazy but i couldnt feel any more in there
and the last clutch she had 2 were big and white 18 were very very small and hard yellow in colour they were not good 1s
will see how she goes but there must be sumat in there as she digging like crazy

cheers rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:18 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Sounds like her biological clock is a bit messed up. They are only just turning into adults so you may be better seperating them, she then can recover, and then if you still want to breed try again when they are older.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11