mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:20 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hi all,

well the eggs are now 9 days old and all look healthy :D we r keeping a close eye on them and all seems well i have all my fingers and toes crossed!! i have read when they hatch you will need to split them into groups of 5?? how soon do u have to do that??

cheers clarey xx

1 fishpond with lots
1 fiance ian
1 15 yr old step daughter sophie

enjoy each day as you never know whats round the corner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When they hatch leave them in the incubator until they are moving around. This can take up to 24 hours - this makes sure they absorb the egg sac fully before being moved.

As you take them out move them to the vivs in groups of 5. It can take 4 to 5 days until they are all hatched, so you'll probably just have one or two at first. I'd personally avoid putting number 6 on its own, if you see what I mean, so if six hatch together, put them all together. It won't matter if you shuffle them around the vivs.

They take up to 4 days to start eating properly. It's when they start eating that problems could start with overcrowding. To a very young beardie there might not seem much difference between a cricket running away, and a tail of it's brother disappearing behind a rock, and many tails get nipped as they are mistaken for food.

I found it was good to handle the young beardies regularly - we took them out daily to clean the vivs (baby's poop at least 3 times a day, so daily cleaning out is essential). All ours ended up very tame and didn't mind being handled by prospective buyers.

Well done for reaching the 9 day mark - that should mean all your eggs are fertile!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:41 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi Clare mine are now 3 weeks old but all in a very large viv but will split them up soon into smaller groups. Luck is I have many people who want them so most will be gone at 8 to 10 weeks . A few pics for you your doing well 8)

Attachments:
DSCF0378.jpg
DSCF0378.jpg [ 113.33 KiB | Viewed 5889 times ]
DSCF0386.jpg
DSCF0386.jpg [ 107.28 KiB | Viewed 5889 times ]
DSCF0377.jpg
DSCF0377.jpg [ 114.46 KiB | Viewed 5889 times ]

2 cats Ginny & Bella
2 Beardies Fred and Wilma
15 baby beardies so far

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:27 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

A hh dave such cute pics is that a tall viv or a long one?? i was thinking of getting one more maybe a tall one??

clare x

1 fishpond with lots
1 fiance ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Its a tall viv little babes seem to love running up and down the bark and wood

2 cats Ginny & Bella
15 baby beardies so far

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

pic

2 cats Ginny & Bella
15 baby beardies so far

Last edited by F1DRAGON on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baby beardies actually need quite a simple set up, and you don't need to get a fully set up viv. I'll see if Andy can post some pictures of his breeding set up.

A 2 x 2 viv is good for 5 babies. Keep it plain and simple so they can find food. With my experience of babies you don't want to encourage them to climb too much - yes, they love to climb, but can also fall and hurt themselves. With a tall viv you can't guarantee they will be in the right range for the UV, and with too many places to hide you won't be able to keep a visual check so easily making sure they are all fit, well and growing.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

As Trish said, babies tend to do better in a simple setup - it helps them find food more easily, and it makes it more obvious to each other what they are. If a baby sees something twitching behind some leaves, it might well jump on it - "eat first and ask questions later". That's one of the reasons why babies in overcroweded, overly-complex setups tend to nip each other. If it can quite clearly see that it's another beardie sat there, it's much less likely to try to eat it. There's also the problem of finding food - the more places you have for babies to climb or hide, the more places their livefood has to climb and hide! If it's too hard to babies to find food, they can start nipping at each other because they're hungry.

It's certainly a great-looking viv, but I personally would use something a lot simpler for babies, at least until they're a few months old.

These are the kind of things I house young (<8 weeks) bearded dragons in - plain and boring but simple for the babies to find their food, simple for me to keep clean, and it makes sure that the babies are all aware of what each other is, so you don't have any accidents where a baby mistakes part of another for food. It also means you can scatter food around and it's obvious to the babies where it is. There's a light shining on one end of the rock, then the other end of the rock is a bit cooler, and they have an even cooler area (just above room temperature) on the floor in front of the rock:

Once they're a bit older they move into something like this - they stay on solid substrate (tiles or paper, depending on what the baby seems to do best on), but still kept nice and simple. Once they're up to around 150-200g, most get moved onto sand. I don't move them into complex cages with branches and loads of rocks etc until they've stopped growing so quickly:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

A

Last edited by F1DRAGON on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hi that basic viv lokks ideal we have bought three 4"2"2 do you think we could partion them off into half each with a heat lamp in each section we wouldnt need any other vivs then 3 would be enough!! :)

cheers clarey xx

1 fishpond with lots
1 fiance ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that would be perfect. A 4 ft viv would be too large for young babies, as they'll have difficulty finding their food. The main thing to worry about is removing ALL uneaten crickets at night. There are too many horror stories of babies being killed or badly hurt by crickets biting them at night. The bigger the viv and the more things in it, the harder it is for the babies to find the food, and for you to see and catch the uneaten ones.

Always leave a bowl of finely chopped veg in with babies - the crickets will hopefully prefer this if you do miss one of the buggers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Cheers i will seperate them off then and keep them very basic like andy said thanks

xx :D

1 fishpond with lots
1 fiance ian