Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: That can't taste good.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hello

My lovely adult bearded dragons are settling in nicely, they love to run about the house and are pretty much a handful.

She laid a few eggs when we first got her, they turned into shivled dark things by the time we had even found them, this happened again a few weeks back. She laid an egg today, I didn't see it but was told that he ate it, is that normal? Is he THAT hungry? for it is feeding day to day. Was the egg bad, was that why it was lunch?

I really do feel sorry for her as they mate alot but I don't understand why she doesn't dig and lay her eggs in the sand?

Is it possible to have infertile dragons? Seems a strange concept but I am wondering why they are not following standard egg laying conduct!

Please help, Ian.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:56 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi,

You don't have any real choice here. They need to be separated whether you want to breed them or not, one mating can potentially provide three or more clutches of eggs but if you don't know the signs to look for when she's ready to lay then they can be scattered everywhere and (for the male) just become another food item. Dragons do not have any parental instincts at all.
So, first question is:-
Are you intent on breeding, if so please read this http://mybeardeddragons.co.uk/bdforum/v ... f=9&t=2506

If not then you need to separate them as he'll keep on trying to mate and she'll keep laying. This depletes her caclium, fat levels etc. and will eventually run her down so badly that she could die.

I am wondering why they are not following standard egg laying conduct!

What do you understand to be "standard egg laying conduct" for a dragon? I'm not going to jump on you from a great height, but to save me giving a lecture, I'd like your idea so that I can see what advice/corrections may be needed.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

I understand that she will start digging around and lay the eggs in a mound of sand.

What if I don't have another place to keep the male? I can't exactly split the cage in half can I?

I want to keep them together as they are perfect as a couple and the viv is in the perfect spot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:33 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

So basically your knowledge is pretty scant in the area of breeding.
I'm going to be blunt because I care more for the treatment of dragons than peoples' sensibilities. Two dragons together is an accident waiting to happen - yes some people get away with it (usually with females) but too many don't and come home to a dead dragon or a female who has been mated to often and just expires due to malnutrition/infections/damage due to mating - you need to separate them as you've already told us the mate a lot.
As to egg laying and subsequent care of the babies, you need to provide something for her to lay in. I use two kitty litter trays one upside down on top of the other. Cut a hole in the top one that she can get through, thus making a cave, fill the bottom one with moist vermiculite and place in her encloure where it will get to a temp of around 28C. Laying will usually occur 4~5 weeks after the first successful mating with one or two additional clutches spaced around 3~4 weeks apart following on. This is only from one mating, leaving them together and you can expect any number of clutches before something stupid happens. Incubation itself will take somewhere between 50 and 90+ days at a steady temp of about 28.3C. For the costs involved you should read this http://www.hadesdragons.co.uk/breeding-costs-bd.html it should also make you aware of the time you will also be spending bringing them up to a saleable size.

So - still want to go through with it? If you are still hell bent on the idea we will continue to assist with what advise you need, just be very certain that you can cope with the work load and responsibilities involved.

Rick