mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: very cross!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Just thought i'd vent my rage on some Beardie lovers who'll understand. Let me tell you my story, I got home from work on friday to find my little beardie laying motionless in his tank with his heat lamp off. After trying to get the lamp back on to warm him up I realised that the light had blown. So I filled up a hot water bottle put him on it (he was quite hissing like mad at being moved) and placed him under my partners lamp. I was really worried but after a while once he had warmed up he was running around like normal. We couldn't get him another light until saturday morning as the shops were shut so had to keep him warm until bed time. Saturday we went to B&Q and bought two light bulbs to try instead of the red reptile ones that cost a fortune as I have read on here that it is ok to do so and much che heaper. We put the new light in Simba (Our Beardie) was happy. Sunday evening we got home from a day out to find him yet again cold and motionless with the new light bulb blown. We went through the same process again only now he was so cold we couldn't even get him to eat. Finally after he warmed up a little he ate a few crickets but not many. Then when I got home from work today the second new bulb had blown. I was furious. My poor little simba had crawled under his rock (he never goes there) he was cramped up and not moving. Me and my partner honestly thought he had died. I was nearly in tears when my partner lifted him and we saw his eyes move. We again went through the same process of warming him up. He is now sitting on a hot water bottle under my partners lamp sunny him self happy as anything! I have been so worried. Im going to try and take him to the vets at the weekend to get him checked over. My parents are coming over tomorrow with a new bulb (a proper red reptile bulb) and are going to make sure this one doesn't blow. I can't believe it. It's been so cold here! Does anyone know if Dragon's can catch colds? Any advice please? Sorry this was so long.

Post subject: Re: very cross!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:32 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Is the bulb attached to a thermostat? Sounds like you have been having serious problems :cry:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:40 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Yes and it has been working perfectly fine for the last four months so I can't understand it. How long do your bulbs normally last? I had the reti glo red one to start with. x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

If three bulbs have blown then it doesn't sound like it's the bulbs that are the cause - have you checked the bulb fittings/fuse? The normal household reflector spotlight bulbs are just as good as the 'reptile' ones but so much cheaper. Our first bulb lasted 6 months and we are now into our second bulb, the bulb is a cheap one from Asda.Is your beardie ok?

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

The one we have we put in 2 months ago the one before was a special reptile one that was in for 6 months.
Which wattage have you been using?
Sounds like you may have a fault somewhere but unsure where it could be :? You need somebody with experience in beardie set ups send Andy at Hadesdragon a pm with the details and he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:08 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

You could be right about it being something other than the light bulbs it already crossed my mind. Can't work out what it could be though as its been fine for 4 months? I'll PM one of the smarty pants and see if they can figure something out. I'd rather not put another £7 light bulb in just for it to blow again! x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:39 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I'll post up my reply to your PM in here for reference incase it happens to anyone else in the future:

Being too cold for too long can make him ill - for a few days it shouldn't be a problem though. Don't try feeding him until he's warm though; if he's too cold he won't be able to digest his food and it may start to decompose inside of him.

As beardies can't produce their own internal heat, they are totally at the mercy of external heat (the sun / a bulb). Evolution has shaped them so that when they feel themselves getting too cold and there's no where to bask, they go and hide away until they can warm up again.

Given that all of the bulbs are blowing, it sounds like you have a fault with either the bulb holder, or a stat or timer if you are using them - you might want to replace the bulb holder to begin with. Lights should last at least 3 months or so; to have 3 blow in as many days suggests that something isn't right with your wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:14 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Have you managed to get this sorted out now?

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:19 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

This use to happen 2 us but found out it was the timers use 2 fuse the whole house, use to feel so sorry for them but they wood just sleep! We have not removed the timers & turn them on & off manually! If u don't have timers maybe its a loose wirer on connection??? Good luck in sorting it!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Thanks. We have got a new bulb and so far so good but we never know until the timer comes on in the morning as that seems to be what blows them so I may try and manually turn them on and off as suggested until the weekend when we have time to test it all properly. Simba has just eaten a whole load of food and has been very happy (and warm) today so fingers crossed it last. Thanks for all your help guys x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

fingers crossed it won't blow again :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

So far so good! Just manually turning it on and off and it seems to be doing the trick so i'll stick to doing that for now. Simba is now eating like there is no tommorrow! So happy all round. Thanks for everyones tips! xxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:47 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

i had a problem with my old thermostat. i thought my bulb had blown but when i plugged it straight in to power it worked. after a few minutes pout it back in tjhe thermpo and was back to normal. this was happening quite regularly so i changed thermostat

2 cats- biscuit and Belle
1 dogs- Bruce
1 Beardie- Pogo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

yeah I think thats what i'll have to do as otherwise i'll never be able to sleep in at the weekends ever again!