mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

I suppose you need to think about the other side of things, not just egss and babies, the overall health of the female is just as important. Repeated breeding can have an effect and they can develop 'womens' problems as well.
I have heard about 'freezing' unwanted eggs but is this just a way of keeping two together so therfore cutting down the expensive on having 2 set ups??

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:07 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Well, think about it. If nobody breeded beardies, there wouldnt be any left. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:40 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

But doesnt it seem like EVERYONE is breeding there beardies? If there was a global shortage the pet trade would be crying out for them and prices would rocket. This clearly isnt the case so a bit of a poor arguement i would say!

Is anyone thinking or planning to breed there beardies in the next year and what made you make that decision?

Answers on a post card please ..... or just this thread. Come on people, dont be shy ..... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not planning to breed Shrek and Fi - what they do is up to them!

They bred last year, but although I expected them to breed again this year they didn't. If it happens, it happens. I'm quite happy either way.

It is very hard work having a house full of baby beardies, but very rewarding to to watch them grow up. The problem is finding suitable homes for them - it takes time unless you're going to sell them to a pet shop and I wouldn't want to do that!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:40 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

I've been told some people who dont want eggs put them in a cool place or the fridge.

Is this ok or illegal?

Unhatched High Yellow Jungle Carpet Python - Unnamed
Breeding Dubai Cockroaches

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The idea is that, if for whatever reason, you don't want the eggs then simply freeze them before destroying them. Done immediately after laying it is theoretically humane and there is no risk of eggs being dumped in a compost heap and hatching in due course.

We breed yearly with one pair only which provides 3 clutches totalling about 55 babies. Next year will probably be slightly different as we hope to be working on some coloured dragons so we're looking at the current babies for a good prospective mate for a young red dragon we have.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dragon Ranch wrote:I've been told some people who dont want eggs put them in a cool place or the fridge.

Is this ok or illegal?

If you can't afford to hatch the eggs you can freeze them. However, you can't use this as a form of beardie contraception. If you keep a male and female together who keep breeding, even if you don't hatch the eggs, the trial of nurturing and laying the eggs time and time again will weaken the female considerably and shorten her lifespan. And her life will be made pretty miserable by the male.

So really, unless you want to breed you shouldn't keep male and female together all the time. Or unless you are like us, and they live together but don't breed. We would separate Shrek and Fi if they looked like they were going to keep mating.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Webmaster wrote:So really, unless you want to breed you shouldn't keep male and female together all the time. Or unless you are like us, and they live together but don't breed. We would separate Shrek and Fi if they looked like they were going to keep mating.

Thats the same as me, if they have any problems or constantly breed then I will seperate. Currently they are fine and no issues.

Unhatched High Yellow Jungle Carpet Python - Unnamed
Breeding Dubai Cockroaches

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:41 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

So is that the same as saying 'I let my cat/dog breed if she wants to, im happy either way' ... ?

Knowing our rescue centres are bursting at the seems and healthy animals are being destroyed daily because there are no homes for them because the potential homes are taken by people who breed just for the sake of it or for a quick buck?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wasn't saying that I'd just breed willy nilly whatever - having had to find homes for 36 beardies I know how hard that can be.

I expected Shrek and Fi to breed again this year - but they didn't. If I wanted them to breed I could try and force it by separating them for a while - but that's what I meant when I said it's up to them. I'm not going to worry if they don't breed again - I'll just have two companionable beardies. But if they do breed next year I'll be happy with that too.

What I think is worrying is the number of people who buy males and females from the same clutches and don't realise any mating will result in in breeding, and people who think having a few babies will be sweet. What they don't realise is the number of babies that will result, and the immense cost and time involved to grow them on healthily. What I hate seeing is pet shops selling tiny beardies which can only be a couple of weeks old at most - the people who've supplied them are obviously those that are in it for a fast buck. Babies cost around £50 a week to feed, so you can see how keeping them until at least 6 weeks can be too expensive for a lot of people.

A pet shop offered to buy mine at two weeks old - obviously I refused! Some of mine were 14 weeks when I eventually found good homes for them!

You can see from the numbers of people on this forum that have bought quite small beardies, but have been told they are a lot older that this is a very common practice.

The other thing I don't like seeing is adverts saying £30 for one beardie, or buy 2 for £50 - I think we should be discouraging people from buying 2 beardies together!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Thanks Trish, I'm so grateful for all the comments on this thread. So are we saying its all down to education? It's something we are all on here for right? ..... to better ourselves so we can better the lives of our beloved pet beardies?

Going forward as responsible beardie owners what can we do? Apart from educate on good husbandry ect and forum support!

To make sure we dont get to the stage the Dogs Trust and Cats Protection and all other charities are ..... where do you think we go from here? (Q is not to one person but ALL resonsible beardie owners)

Ant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:47 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I honestly can't see it happening but, back to my contributions, you need a decent central licensing system, proper control of "pet" shops and on-going public education. This applies to the whole of the reptile trade, which, as far as I can see, seems to be spiraling out of control.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:45 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

I totally agree with Rick :D

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy