mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Setup help!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hey guys ! , so long story short my boyfriend had a beardie and he died a few years ago so as his birthday is coming up I thought I would buy him another one :) , only problem is I can't remember how to do it and what I need , so far I have ...
Vivaruim
Heat mat
2 x logs
1x hide cave
1x 60watt reflector bulb

I will be getting a baby beardie and have been told newspaper would be best for the flooring so!
What else do I need and does any one have any tips?? Any help would be much appreciated :) thanks for reading xx

Post subject: Re: Setup help!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hiya, Im no expert but you will also need a UV tube at least10% (I nearly found this out the hard way)

Something like an "Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0" TUBE NOT COMPACT.

When I first got my BD and read up etc the general feeling was no heatmat too, as the bulb you have will supply the heat and the heatmat can burn the underside of the BDbut im sure someone more experienced will let you know on that.

Also digital thermometers for each end to keep an eye on the temps. I got mine off ebay for about £2.50 each, just look for didgital thermometer with probe.

Hope this helps

:)

PS Any other posters that want to correct me if any info is wrong please do, I would rather that than give wrong info :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thank you :) , forgot to mention I have 2 thermometers aswell , so you reckon leave the heat mat out and just have the bulbs etc ? X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:23 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum, have a look at this post for ideas on what you need viewtopic.php?f=2&t=201
Once you've had a look, come back and ask any questions you have :P

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thats the setup I now have yeah, 1 UV tube and 1 spotlight. I have the spotlight at 1 end to make that the "hot end" and have the tube running 3/4 length of the viv starting at the hot end. This creates an end that is hot and bright for basking one end that is cooler and bit dimmer. The beardie will regulate its temp by going either into the hot or cool end as it requires. The spotlight should give off enough heat to keep the viv at the right tempswithout the need for the mat. Put a thermometer at each end, 1 by the basking spot (hottest and brightest part of viv by the spotlight). The viv temp is ok to drop at night as they would have this in the wild too. I think the night time temp can drop to around 17 degrees C. Newspaper good for young BD as easy cheap etc, DON'T USE SAND ESP CALCI SAND. this can be ingested by the BD and cause impaction. When I first got Buddy he would hide under his hide most of the time which stopped him getting the UV he needed and was advised to put things in he can hide behind rather than under so he can still feel safe and get the light on him which may be an idea at first. They like to climb so lots of things for that good too.

I hope this helps but please do double check any info to make sure I am right and to give your BD the best start :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 pm 
EGG
EGG

Ok so I saw a video about setting up the viv and the lady had a basking lamp with guard 2x 60 watt bulbs and a UVB tube , should I just have a UVB and 60w and forget about the basking lamp and guard and hear mat ? X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Yes - all you need is a good UV covering 2/3rd of the viv plus a spotlight RO80 style of at least 60 watt, this will provide all the basking light and heat needed. No cage as they will tend to hang off it and may well burn their tummy as they don't sense heat very well through their tummy.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

Ok so today I brought a t5 UVB reptiglo tub only problem is the shop I brought it from now longer sell the holders or clips to attach it so now I have ended up with just a bulb, any ideas where I can get a holder from ? X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Kiera2011 wrote:Ok so today I brought a t5 UVB reptiglo tub only problem is the shop I brought it from now longer sell the holders or clips to attach it so now I have ended up with just a bulb, any ideas where I can get a holder from ? X

Any hardware store...

I got one from B and Q but dont know if they have one of them anywhere near where you live

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

This is a link to my Viv build thread if it helps at all?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9628

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Try e-bay or even Essex reptile as you can get a discount by putting MYBD in on checkout :) :) hope this helps

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish