Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Viv decoration
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:43 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi All,

I popped into B&Q yesterday to pick up a spotlight bulb for the viv and came out with a sheet of polystyrene and some other bits. I thought I would have a go at making the viv look a little less bland inside. I was going to wait until I get a bigger viv but couldn't resist.

I got home from work tonight and started fiddling about with the polystyrene and have so far got this (I hope there is a pic below!)

I have no idea how this will turn out or if it will be usable but nothing ventured .....

Post subject: Re: Viv decoration
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Should work OK - just put a bit aside and practice grouting/sealing painting on it first.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Rick, I did some grouting, then some more and some more and now I need to get more grout! I have paint and sealer but I think it's going to be a while til I need it at this rate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Get something like this http://nbjiaqi0108.en.busytrade.com/pro ... ct-18.html and use it to basically melt the polystyrene to shape then just paint the surface with craft glue and sprinkle sand onto it. Job done.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm 
EGG
EGG

Too late I fear after making such an investment of the UK grout industry!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Resurrecting this because i am increasingly wanting to make my own background.

If I go to the store and buy polystyrene, what are the steps then to make it suitable in the viv? This is totally new to me, so i don't know the steps to take or materials to use.

Do i just do what i want with the polystyrene, then grout it, and paint over it?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm 
EGG
EGG

Pretty much, yes. I used a sheet of polystyrene with other bits "roughed up" and stuck on with no more nails. I then applied grout (about 5 or 6 fairly thick coats, with a thin first coat to get into all the nooks and crannies), I used different coloured grouts to make it easier to see bits that I missed. The last coat was sandstone coloured grout. Once the grout was dry I airbrushed some shading under the rocks and sealed it with mod podge matte finish sealer. I then put it in the viv and sealed around the edges. There are a number of ways to do it but this is the one I went with.

Here's a pic

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Thank you Phil. I was watching a few videos on YouTube and have decided that after a few layers of grout, I will add paint to the grout mix and colour it that way, and then seal it with a watered down PVA mixture.

Have you joined the sides and back together, or are they separate? And how is it secured in the viv? My challenge is that I only have one viv, and my dragon is already in it. So i need to make the background outside of it, then get it inside.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 pm 
EGG
EGG

I made mine before we got Hugo as everything needs to dry out and all chemical vapours need to be gone before you put your beardie in there.

I attached it to the back and sides with no more nails then grouted the gaps in the corners and sealed it all while in place with mod podge.

Might be an idea to buy a small, cheap used viv set up from eBay or the various reptile classifieds for when you fit it and then sell it back on after.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

PhillW wrote:I made mine before we got Hugo as everything needs to dry out and all chemical vapours need to be gone before you put your beardie in there.

I attached it to the back and sides with no more nails then grouted the gaps in the corners and sealed it all while in place with mod podge.

Might be an idea to buy a small, cheap used viv set up from eBay or the various reptile classifieds for when you fit it and then sell it back on after.

That's not really an option for me for various reasons. Probably the easiest thing to do is let it dry out for a few days on the work desk, then take the lid off the viv, slot it down, and then put it back on

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:51 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Would overnight be long enough for no more nails to dry?

I'm thinking, i could put her in a towel in a tub overnight, when she won't need heat or be trying to escape, and let the NMN dry in the viv. I would have the back and sides pre-assembled and sealed, so they would only need gluing on the wood of the viv

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:31 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Should work OK.

Rick