mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 am 
EGG
EGG

Ok many moons ago i bought 2 dragons with an included viv set up, was a few weeks after this i bought a brand new one (the wife wanted it the same colour as our decor)

Anyway i was advised on here to split them up as they was male and female, i did not do this and guess what? yep 32 eggs a few months ago in 2 clutchers.

2 was dropped transferring these to a bought incubator, and 2 was no more just last week.

First set was on the 10/02/2013 16 eggs 2 dropped

Second set 11/03/2013 16 eggs 2 eggs flopped

Now i am buying 2 more brand new vivs so will have 3 in total plus the 1 we got with the dragons, but not including this one as it's not going to be used.
The main viv will still have the male and female in together for now, the 2 new ones will house 1 clutch each.

Then the plan is to keep 1 baby and have all 3 in separate vivs, but the kids are wanting 2 babys. but if i did let this happen the it would be 2 females.

Buying the same style and design a viv we have now and stacking them, but going to custom the 2 new ones with fake rock made with polystyrene. Now my main question is what do i paint it with to make it more real like, and what do i seal it with.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The main viv will still have the male and female in together for now, the 2 new ones will house 1 clutch each.
Unless you've a good dealer nearby who'll take the babies you may need more than two extra vivs!! I've currently got 4 extras going as any more than 10 babies per 4ft viv and they fight so currently I have 2 vivs each containing 8 x 3 week old babies, 1 with 3 x 3month old holdbacks (checking colour as they get older) and 1 with 4 problem feeders. So you really need a stack of cheap vivs that can be put out of the way once breeding is over. The other point being that now you've got the male and female together again it'll start all over again, unless you freeze any resultant eggs.
From the pint of view of paints any of the non-toxic paints can be used and as far as sealing is concerned all I use is a good coat of craft glue.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm 
EGG
EGG

Cheers rick

Don't really want a stack of viv's because then i'd need a stack of heaters, lights, and the rest of it to house them. This is really just a 1 off and don't intend to keep any more eggs after this, so the rest will be frozen when the time comes.

2 local pet shops are having them in exchange for free food, but not sure how old yet before they can take them.

If needs must i have that viv from when we bought the dragons, but this would only be used till they get housed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Normal age for release is 8 weeks, mainly because they're feeding well at that point and have some reserves for those few days when they go off food after being moved.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 am 
EGG
EGG

Again cheers rick