mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sand and things....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:17 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi all it's been awhile once again, life is hectic here!

Ok so merlin is almost seven months now....can't believe how quick the time has gone.....I am now wondering about using sand, in pet shops I've seen the calci sand and almost got some thinking if he digests any it will be ok then?? But having a little on here it seems its not a good idea? Can I ask why? Also then if this is the case I a very worried about using sand full stop ask don't want him to eat it and get poorly, any suggestions? What can I put in his tank to help keep claws down too? I am wondering if he needs something more in his tank? At the mo he has his long log that he loves, a rock that he doesn't really use often, his water and veg dish and a plant that he use to lay on but no longer takes notice of.
Also I read on here about giving him fruit? He eats fresh veg every day but am wondering if he can have fruit or other veg other than spring greens, baby leaf, etc.
any advice on how many crix he should be having now? That's also why I want to move off the newspaper flooring as the crix crawl under it and merlin can't always get to them.

Sorry for essay!

X

Post subject: Re: Sand and things....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If he's hunting and catching his prey accurately then he can go on to a better substrate. A mix of play sand and sandstone rocks would be ideal with probably a 50/50 coverage of the floor. He will try tasting play sand for a couple of days but this won't harm him, the problem with calcisand is that they seem to love eating it and it can compact in the intestine and clog rather than passing through like play sand. Giving both types of surface also helps exercise his feet, gives somewhere to dig and the sandstone aids in keeping nails short, at the same time you can upgrade his furnishings if you want to - he's going to sulk so you may as well get it all done at once!
At this pint he can go to a single live feed a day plus of course mixed veg, check this list as it'll give a good cross section of vegetables that are acceptable http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks rick, regarding single live feed a day how many crix woulda recommend now? Pet shops are useless at providing an assortment of sizes, some say standard and are tiny others say large and are about just right for him but he can eat about 8 of these as their not really large well what I would call large anyway.

Thanks for the list.xx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:43 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Our guys at that age will eat crix that are 1.5 ~ 2.00 cm in size and will put away 8~10 quite happily. He should still show a steady weight gain at that age but not as fast as in his first few weeks.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:01 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks again, just another thing. Merlin is still very jumpy, he doesn't mind laying on us but if I go to pick him up he really is jumpy and gets skittish. I don't wana grab him and make him scared so I just let him go. Any advice? Xx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just try getting him to eat treats from your fingers and when picking him up try to slide your hand under him rather than grab from above. They do settle but it can take quite a while with some.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I actually think he tries it on so he gets treats haha.

Thanks again rick.xx