Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sand questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:59 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to keeping beardies. I have a young beardie approximate 4-5 months old.

I am having doubts about the place I bought him form as they gave me very little advice and the advice they did give seems to have been bad.

At the moment my breardie is on bark chippings, I am reliably informed that this is a bad idea. They also said give him nutrabal every other day. again I have been told that this is bad, they can actually overdose on some of the nutrabal ingredients and it should only be given once a week and calcium powder should be given every other day.

All in all, I have been left very confused and worried.

I have been told that sand is ok for beardies and a different shop, that seemed to be quite open and honest with a love of animals, not just a love of selling, that fine sand is ok to use. They had the exo terra dessert sand, and showed me that they use it in their vivs.

I would like to know if children's play sand is also ok (some forums say it is some say it isn't). Also is there anything I should be specifically looking for e.g. Silica sand? Or should I go for the exo terra stuff?

How deep should the sand be, is it a loose scattering or should it be an inch or so deep?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sand questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

:lol: Hi, and welcome to THE best forum for Beardies :) till your Beardie is 6 mths old and a competent feeder ; he should be on either kitchen roll or Lino or newspaper (they can choke on bark chippings or become impacted and die) one guy on here lost his Beardie due to impaction :roll: Once 6mths you CAN use childrens playsand (dried in the oven) its fine and doesnt clump like other sands. But use pieces of sandstone and make like crazy paving (the sandstone is good for keeping claws down) ,you are right about nutrabol 2x a week , but calcium should be added to live food daily (on one of the 2 feeds) as should be on 2 live feeds a day as many crickets he will eat in 10mins. Take any stray ones out at night as crickets can bite the soft part of your Beardie whilst asleep ( if in doubt leave the greens in over night hopefully they will eat that) . Your Beardie should have fresh veg and fruit every morning first thing . What sort of heat and lighting do you have :lol: if you could put a pic on the forum of your set up and the experts are brill they will let you know if anything needs adjusting :lol: BUT look at all the topics and have a good read , you can get the list at the bottom of your post :lol: There is also a feeding chart you can print off which is so handy :lol: :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Either play sand or the Exo Terra desert sand will be OK but not Calcisand. Much of their natural environment has a loose covering of fine sand so the major concern is only when they are still young and tend to be inaccurate feeding, grabbing their prey plus a mouthful of substrate. We use around a 1cm deep layer of sand and have done for years with no trouble.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:00 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I used to use children's play sand but now I only use kitchen roll. I've heard too many tales of ingesting substrates and issues with sand! :?

1 Senegal Parrot
2 Beardies
2 Crested Geckos
1 Leopard Gecko
5 Cornsnakes
2 Royal Pythons
3 Torties
2 Guinea Pigs
? Foster Animals

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:24 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I have just ordered this after reading through the forums:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoo-Med-Repti ... 337f3bd360

I shall let you know how I find it once I arrives

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I used that for a bit and gave up its hard to clean (yes you can wash it ) but its a pain :lol: Lino is the best and easiest to keep clean :lol: I used sand for a bit too but it gets in the runners and grates when opening and closing glass doors (even when you clean it out) :lol: I still have sandstone and a large bamboo root ; plus a hollow log to run through :lol: Yes lino is the easiest (you can always make a little sandpit in the corner :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for the replies folks.

I am pretty happy with my set up now, apart from the substrate. Temps are good, beardie is feeding well, going to the toilet regular enough. I have place a floor tile in my viv that i place leafy salad on. I am told that as well as making a nice wipe clean area for food, but also helps to keep breardie's claws down to a nice level.

I have watched my breadie hunting, he seems pretty good. He is a slow steady hunter, sneaking up slowly on the locusts and pouncing and taking them quite accurately. I want to minimise the chance of impaction, but not at the expense of making a home like environment for my beardie.

Sand will be going in soon. I will probably be going for the exo terra stuff. As far as I can see, bearded dragons seem quite a clean animal, they don't pooh loads, it isn't sloppy, they don't require humidity so there is no change of wet mould substrate building up. Will the sand need changing that often if poops are taken out quickly after they are dropped?

As a bit of ackground about me, I am quite competent at keeping snakes. I have had corn snakes, pythons and boa's. They had all had to go due to the arrival of child number one and then child number 2. My latest, a Brazilian rainbow boa, went because, although it was a beautiful and much loved pet, it wasn't exactly child friendly, being nocturnal and naturally shy. We never saw it!

Beardies are a new venture for me. My kids love him, and he seems to like being handled by them (obviously I know the riskes and make sure they wash hands afterwards). I am sure I will have loads more questions as i learn more about beardies, and i am pretty sure i will get good answers here. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I would change our sand totally every 6~9 months. In between it gets sieved regularly for and hard particles of food etc. that get scattered around.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Rick :D