mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

For anyone else watching these posts, this is why I always suggest allowing 6~7 days to set up a viv before getting a dragon. Even now I can't guarantee that I will get the temps right when I do a new build so always allow time for problems.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

yeah tried that other day will try again laterwork calls.thing is when i started to set it up it had a spotlight in when i bought it second hand but bulb was blown so changed that bulb then relised bulb was flickering on and off fast then i relsed thermo on side said pulse so read up on that and bought a cheap c/bulb,after having probs with it and following your advice i tried a spot in it it now does not flicker like it should as its a pulse thermo........................ thinking about buying a brand new set up as 2 weeks having this tank i still have no dragon

think i have found you on facebook are you wearing sun shades at all
Kevin Ward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Personally I'd ditch the thermostat, put a standard 60 watt spotlight in the ES base and run that for a couple of days. Check the temps cool and basking moving the basking spot up and down to get in the region of 39~42C. Cool side can be from 22C up to 26~28C quite safely. I know it's a pain but it should work OK, then you can take some time to get a dimming thermostat at a reasonable price. I'm currently running a number of enclosures on a similar basis without stats quite successfully and in most instances a 60 watt spot really should be adequate. These are ideal http://www.thelightbulbpeople.co.uk/spo ... or_spot_es
Give it a try this evening and let me know how it goes.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

found out we have a shop at work that sells reptile stuff and most is half price so i have bought a exo terra 150w ceramic heat emitter £11 (can not believe there £22 normally)its been on 20mins and getting a temp of 34.4c think my digital thermostat was also lying to me as also bouught a Exo Terra Dial Reptile Thermometer(£1.50) thats saying 35c in 20mins,looks like i will be getting a dragon come sunday at this rate......................

after 6hrs i have a temp of 42.6c in the basking area and 25.3c in the cool end...............been moving basking stones around

will leave and check in the morning here (about 7hrs) have set thermo to 25c ish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Those temps look spot on - problem solved!

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:42 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

exo terra 150w ceramic heat emitter working better this morning its at 41.5c basking and cool area 26c not sure if thermostat on side of tank is working at temp tho as i set it to 25c and accordeing to dial temps its 26c not complaining as near enough.will just keep eye on it but its looking good now...................

ANYONE WHO IS HAVING SAME PROBS OR ANY PROBS YOU WANNA TALK TO
RICK HE IS THE MAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:59 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Don't take a lot of notice of the degrees scale on the stat. treat it more as a simple graduation scale. They are not as accurate as a digital thermometer.As long as the temps sit around 24~26C and not higher than 42C then don't mess with it :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:03 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

i still need to turn it down on a nite tho and back up in the morning right will turn uv light off when i turn temp down later

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

All I've done is attach both thermostat and UV to a timer switch and have both turned off and on automatically.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:38 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

need to buy a decent timer bought a dail one but thing wont work right

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Ok having a total freak out after reading this post. Have I bit off more than I can chew?

I don't have a thermostat at the moment maybe something ill get in Few months but I am now investing in digital thermometers.
Can someone tell me if what I have is fine or ami going to end up making my beardie poorly.....I have a basking spot light in the hot end, still having probs making sure the basking rock is hot enough for the beardie and am worried that the 'hot end' area isn't hot enough? So is it more about the basking spot being at 110 or the whole area?
I have a uvb 10.0 15w tube is this right? My tank is only 2ft as we got it give to us so using that until we get a bigger one but for now I have bought this tube that is 18'' and I've placed it at the top back end of the tank, in the middle if that makes sense? Is this ok?
The cool area of the tank seems fine I'm more worried about the beardie not getting enough heat. Also I will turning it off at night and back on again in the morning, been told this is fine as long as temps don't drop below 15 in the room? I guess I worried that I'm going to get it all wrong and end up making the poor little fella suffer. I pick him up weds and still struggling with temps.
Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:46 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

With a 2ft tank you're going to have problems getting a good heat gradient, you really need to get a 4ft set up as soon as possible. It's easier to run and better for your dragon in the long run.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi need help please. ..have read your section on dimming thermostat but am still totally perplexed by the way it should be set up I have added a picture I think of how its set up in my viv but the last week the temps have gone nuts...
48x15x12" high vivarium
40watt habistat spot lamp ES
setup on 26/8/14
Bearded dragon baby Floyd 7 weeks old today!

its all bedn ok up til last week until temps went up for no reason. As u can see from the picture the basking log with floyd on is set away from the hotspot due to my viv being 12" high I cant raise light any more.
the probe on the wall at the back of picture is the thermometer probe and the black spot under the log is the thermostat probe which is right next to the hotspot. i have had to turn down the thermostat to 95 but still temps read 117?? Now ive been told that this set up is incorrect and the probe for the thermostat should be in the middle of the viv but Its still gonna cause a high temp at the hotspot ive also been told by the shop i bought the thetmostat off that long as cool end is ok it doesnt matter about the hot end im convincdd the thetmostat is faulty so im gonna get a new thermometer tomorrow and ring the manufacturer of the thermostat to see what they say then also get some refector bulbs instead of reptile spot lamp as pefhaps they wont get as hot? Unless anyone has any other suggestion s ???????? Sorry picture wont upload

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Move the stat sender across to the cool side at ground level and close to the wall, set it for around 22C (70F) and then check the temps later. The reflector lights will be just as hot as the current light but a fair bit cheaper, so before you go out buying more stuff try this first.

Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7