mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lighting - Must Read
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The problems I have with their statements revolve around the increase in UV when using a reflector. Frances has already done the figures and her illustration is based on a light including reflector and she clearly states that a safe distance for sun lovers is well inside the 20" you've been advised. Additionally previous research by her on UV strips has regularly shown that a reflector only increases Uv by a max of 100% and normally not that much (due probably to distortion in the reflecting background). I've sent off a few emails but it may take a few days to get a result. Don't panic however because I'm pretty sure someone has made an error/assumption that is not completely correct. I'll actually try and borrow a UV meter to check levels at 25 cm and intervals going out from there just to help.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

You have now got me worried :roll: I have have just installed a Arcadia Luminaire 12% with reflectors as thought it was the best ; my Therru can go under logs if she wants out of direct light ; mine is the 54w and got it for 4ft viv but had to site it corner to corner diagonally as slightly to long :) will be interested to know your results too :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm 
EGG
EGG

Sorry Catmishka! I didn't want to go worrying other people as well, but these beardies certainly keep us on our toes don't they! I'm sure it is fine, but I couldn't leave it without trying to investigate further having had advice against it. It looks so much smarter in there now that the old uv is no longer mounted half way up the back wall & gives more flexibility with branches etc (once I know how close she can get to the new one). Shame about all the holes that are now there, but I plan to give the whole thing a facelift once I know if the new once can stay or not. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

2013-01-28-270_1.jpg
2013-01-28-270_1.jpg [ 129.69 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]
Its okay :lol: another couple on the forum have a luminaire :lol: My Beardie is 13 mths old (had him from 5mths) He trashed the viv last week and snapped his uv in half :roll: so this is as you say neatly out of the way ; and he has a large bamboo gym with hollowed out log and sandstone rock :lol: so plenty of room to move out of the light :lol: But most of the day he sits on the highest branch semi basking :lol: (but the light has brought his colours out lovely and definatly more active :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:51 pm 
EGG
EGG

This is my little monkey this evening. She's causing lots of stresses as she's tiny for her age (7 months). She's done me a really good sample this evening to complete the set and send off to pinmoore. By good sample I mean she saved it for after I got home from work. Definitely something up though as it was really loose and the fluid wasn't clear like it used to be. Am expecting a diagnosis of parasites to be honest, but as this pic shows, she's still plenty active, this was her when I was trying to evacuate her uneaten dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Well I've actually got an enquiry going back to Frances herself via one of my friends so it'll be iteresting to see what sort of response we get. Meanwhile I've looked up a few items and can say that the average hours of sunlight in summer in the areas where dragons live is 9, so given that peak temps seem to occur between 11am & 3pm reducing UV exposure to 5 hours shouldn't really expose them to any great danger. As for increasing the UV by 150% with a reflector I can't see that as being possible. UV is a short (non-visible) wave length of light and is reflect the same way normal light is see http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/u13l3c.cfm so realistically you can't get more than 100% reflected back and given that these reflectors are not perfect even that would seem over optimistic.
Just keep an open mind on this for the moment and lets see what we get after it's been investigated in more depth.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK people here's the definitive instructions for using Arcadia T5 12% with reflector.

"If using a reflector with an Arcadia T5 D3+ 12% UVB, a distance of 10 – 18”
(25 – 45cm) above the beardie’s back is going to provide the equivalent of
early to mid morning sunlight (UV Index 3 – 6)
This tube should be hung over just the basking end of the vivarium, so that
the beardie can move out of the "sunlight" as well as into it, because this
is a high level of UV. Very different to the traditional T8 tubes, these
need to cover a large area of the terrarium as they never provide much more
than "like outdoor UV in the shade". "

This is taken directly from an advice received from Frances Baines in answer to our query so I'm happy to believe that there is no reason for worrying about using them. I would suggest that anyone using a full length unit slide a sheet of plastic or glass over one end to stop the UV rays. Other than that business as normal. I'll still try and get some readings from my units but I don't think we can argue with Frances' opinion here. :)

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 am 
EGG
EGG

Thank you so much for getting that information for us Rick, I'll be sure to share the advice with the facebook group as I think that many users will benefit from the additional guidance. Much happier about her set up now and will replace some of her branches etc so she can get closer if she wishes. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 am 
ADULT
ADULT

I fired up the upgrade T5 for a test run today
Much brighter than a T8!

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Thank you Rick as mine is on the ceiling when Therru is on the floor he is nearly 2 ft away from it anyway ; but he does spend most of his time on his bamboo plus uva/uvb only on 9hrs during day till winter over :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just a small additional note from my vet. He notes that there is a body of evidence that now indicates that along with this level of UV we should also provide shade to allow basking in both heated areas where there is a good level of UV and shaded areas where they can reduce their UV exposure. Note that this applies mainly to these T5 12% systems. Based on this I'll be blanking off a portion of the light at the cooler side to limit both exposure to the UV and also reduce light levels at one end of the viv.
Twiggy_34 how was the info. received on the Facebook page?

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick

I did mention it to them and, to be honest, I think I ended up being confused further by their responses.

Would you object to me PM'ing you with their replies? I'm conscious of the fact that a) posting it here could cause unnecessary confusion for other readers and that b) the feedback was given to me in a private message and it's not fair to them to share it so publicly.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

No problem - pm and I'll give you my opinion.

Rick