mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Set up questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am 
EGG
EGG

We're awaiting delivery of the vivarium, its a VivExotic Viva Terrestrial Vivarium Extra Large, so dimensions are 45" x 24" x 17"

I have a few questions regarding equipment and setup.

The Vivarium has a front flow ventilation system through the rails, will it need any other vents at the back / and or cool end as well or are these sufficient. On the vids they look to work really well but I just wanted to check.

We're going to use the Arcadia T5 12% uv lighting, from articles I've read and from my own experience using T5's in fish tanks they are a lot better than T8's.Swell reptiles do a package including controller, reflector and bulb, in a viv this size would the 24w 2ft bulb be ok or would we be better going for the 39w 3ft set up? up

Also is it better to have the uv bulb on the back wall or ceiling as I've seen setup with both?

Am I right in thinking that the dimming stat is connected to the basking light and the sensor is set at the cool end around head height of the dragon. I was looking at the habistat ones on amazon, what's the difference between the standard dimming stat and the day/night one?

We've got two timers so the uv and basking light can be automated, from what I've read we're thinking of having the basking light on 10 hours and the UV 12 with an hours difference either end of the day so that its a bit more gradual heat build up and decline. Does this sound ok?

Is a Ceramic heater for overnight really necessary as I've seen and been told conflicting things. Also are light guards necessary? as again I've had conflicting views.

I also read that the viv should be sealed with silicone to prevent draughts? Is this right as it seems a little odd to me when you're venting it to allow heat out.

Will the viv come predrilled for equipment to be placed in or do you just put holes in yourself for where sensors etc are needed?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, I just want to ensure that we get it right from the start.

Post subject: Re: Set up questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:09 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi and welcome, nice to see someone double checking everything before getting their dragon.
First - size of viv is ideal and you shouldn't need any extra ventilation as airflow in the Viv Exotics seems pretty good.
I use the Arcadia T5 system in all of my vivs. These are fixed to the top of the back wall and are the 24" length situated at the basking end. This gives the dragons a "shade" area at the cool side. As an aside - I'm getting 18+ months of usable UV from them so although initial cost may seem high there is a long term saving as they don't need replacing anywhere near as quickly as the T8's.
Allow 12 ~ 14 hrs of light during summer and 10 ~ 12 during winter, having the heat turn of a little early is good but have it turn on at hte same time in the mornings as it will take some time to warm up. Dimming stat should be in the cool end and unless you live in a very cold area you won't need any overnight heating so a Day/Night stat which provides a lower overnight heat range is unnecessary. Light/heat guards are not recommended for dragons as they are liable to jump onto them and end up burning their tummy (don't feel heat well through that area).
I don't know about pre-drilled but would assume so and as for the silicone it is a good idea but it's not a draft excluder it's to seal any gaps that mites may lay eggs in (if you're unlucky enough to cop an infestation of them).

Hopefully I've covered it all for you. If not just keep asking.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:16 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for the reply, we went for the largest one we could accommodate as when it comes to our pets we generally believe that bigger is better. We were originally told that we needed a 3ft for one or a 4ft for two, but after reading on here and seeing some of the pictures we'll just stick to one.

Sealing with silicone makes sense now, is it best to use aquarium silicone or can a general one be used?

Just learned today that the vivarium was dropped in transit so another is being sent. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:31 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

General purpose will do. Two in a 4' viv :shock: recipe for disaster. :lol:

Rick