mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi,

My beardie's basking light didn't come on today and when I replaced it, thinking it had just blown the new one didn't work either. So I reckon the ceramic holder is broken. It's gone a kind of yellowy colour. I went to a couple of pet shops today but have had no luck getting a suitable holder so I'll need to get next day delivery online I think. Feel awful for my dragon, I put his snuggle safe in for him to sit on this morning but when I got home from work he was snuggled in a corner looking sorry for himself and very cold. I was able to take him outside so he could warm up in the sun for an hour and he perked up but I want to get him a new lamp set up asap.

I currently use this with a halogen bulb. It is attached to the wall of the viv pointing down diagonally but I've always wondered if a clamp lamp would be a better option:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-ADCH-Ce ... amp+holder

Or should I try one of these? I find the whole heating side of things really confusing. If I get this do I need to cut a hole on the top of the viv and stick it through it or can I put it inside the viv and attach it with a bracket or something like I'm doing just now? Does this product have to point downwards from the ceiling or can it be attached to the side of the viv so it's pointing down at an angle? Do I need any other parts to go with it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... t-supplies

Thanks for any comments :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The actual fitting is pretty much the same - a ceramic holder with a metal screw insert. The trouble with all of these is that the contact in the bottom of the fitting can get bent and no longer complete the circuit. I'd unplug the unit then try bending the bottom contact up slightly to see if this is the problem. The current actual fitting is as good as you'll get anywhere so stick with that design if possible.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi, it turned out it wasn't the holder at all, a fuse had gone in the stat! All fixed and my boy is basking happily again :)

Thanks for the info tho! I bought a new holder anyway - will be good to have a spare just in case.