mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi I got my two dragons on Saturday (yes I'm aware of the risks) they are currently in a 3ft viv

, I've just managed to get a secondhand 4ft viv, my local breeders recommended a red bulb, as this is what they use, day & night, I've spoke to a few people, some say no to red a bulb and others say there's no difference, do I need to increase my wattage of the bulb mines currently a 100 watt, for the new viv, as we will be starting to set it up tomorrow

Thanks in advance

Nerys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:48 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Your "breeder" isn't handing out the best advice. A red bulb on all the time will prevent them from getting a proper rest period and as they bask under the brightest available light (not always the hottest) even in day time it's not the best. All you need is a 75 watt RO80 spotlight from your local ASDA store cheap and does all that is required. A little experimentation will show if that or a 100 watt will provide the correct temps - you're aiming for 39~42C at the basking spot with mid 20's at the cool end.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:56 pm 
EGG
EGG

I have used a red bulb in winter cos my house gets cold, it has been suggested bearded dragons cant see red, but it has worked fine so far, i used exo terra 100watt infrared max heat, and it could easily be used as a all year bulb, although i am not a fan of the red light

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:21 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They do see red - early in my time with dragons I used a red bulb for heating with babies but after the third night of them being up and around all night went back to a ceramic plus standard spot light for day time heating. Babies all started sleeping again!

Rick