mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basking Light Issues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 pm 
EGG
EGG

My Heat Lamp Bulb Broke yesterday And Because It Was Too Late To Do Something About it, im afraid They Had To Endure A Cold Night, i went To Pets At Home soon As It Opened And Bought 2 New Bulbs So I Have A Spare Incase This Happens Again, when removing The Bulb I Noticed It Was 240w, i cudnt Find 240 And 100 Was The Nearest So I Bought 100w Thinking It May Be Too Cold For Them, its now At 53 Degrees Celsius which is About 130 Farenheight, is this Too Warm For Them. Why Is The 100w Hotter, i thort more Wattage Meant More Energy Which Meant More Heat, have i Bought The Wrong Bulb Or Is Just Because Its A New Bulb, the store Clerk Said They Are For Beardies.

Post subject: Re: Basking Light Issues
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Don't really know what bulb you had but you need to get that heat down to 39~42C any hotter and you'll dehydrate him. In a standard 4ft viv this is all you should need http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Reflect ... B008GDJ9GY it's cheaper and does the same job. Pets at Home really don't know much about anything so I wouldn't listen to them. You may need to get a dimming thermostat if the spotlight I've recommended doesn't fix the problem.

Hope this helped.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Wow, how big is a 240w bulb? I will back Rick up on this one, I've experimented with bulbs and have found 100w is all I need to heat a 5ft viv. A 150w bulb was dimmer at the same temp.
Call me a devils advocate but are you sure you weren't reading the 240volts as watts?
On the other hand I have noticed that spot heat can be different for the same wattage bulb. My probe for the thermostat is at the cool end, with a constant 26 degrees there one bulb will give a basking temp of high thirties whereas another bulb of the same wattage will give high 50's.
I'd recommend a dimming thermostat anyway for peace of mind.

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Wow, how big is a 240w bulb? I will back Rick up on this one, I've experimented with bulbs and have found 100w is all I need to heat a 5ft viv. A 150w bulb was dimmer at the same temp.
Call me a devils advocate but are you sure you weren't reading the 240volts as watts?
On the other hand I have noticed that spot heat can be different for the same wattage bulb. My probe for the thermostat is at the cool end, with a constant 26 degrees there one bulb will give a basking temp of high thirties whereas another bulb of the same wattage will give high 50's.
I'd recommend a dimming thermostat anyway for peace of mind.

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:05 am 
EGG
EGG

Haha, yes looking At The Bulb Now And It Says 240v But Like The Idiot I Am Ive Just Hone And Read It Wrong, i noticed that My Thermostat Probe Had Moved And Was Directly Under The Bulb, i moved The Probe To The Side Of The Tank Where It Was Before And My Reading Became Normal Again Or As Expected. My Beardies Cannot Touch The Lamp But Do U Think I Shud Guard Directly Underneath So They Do Go There Or Am I Ok To Presume If Its Too Hot For Them There, they will Just Move. This Is The Bulb I Have Now http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00337L ... X110_SY165

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You don't need a guard all that will happen is that your dragon will hang off the guard and possibly burn its tummy. As for the heat light - as I suggested - get the standard household spotlight next time you need one. They're about 1/3rd the cost and do exactly the same job.

Rick