mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Pregnancies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 am 
EGG
EGG

I Know I Have Been Advised To Split My Beardies up however I Havent Done This Yet Due To a Small Cash Flow Problem, im now Worried My Females May Be Pregnant And Ready To Lay Eggs, ive read Abit About Symptoms And It Seems Logical That They Are. Ive Read Alot About laying boxes And So Im Just Wondering If Maybe Someone Can Instruct Me To Make My Own, and also If I Can Maybe An Incubator Or Two For When Or If The Eggs Arrive

Post subject: Re: Possible Pregnancies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If your strapped for cash now don't even consider trying to incubate and raise any eggs that get layed, just pop them in the freezer straight away then dispose of them a couple of days later. As for laying boxes - two kitty litter trays one filled with damp vermiculite the other having an oval hole cut in one end then clipped to the top of the other one to form a cave is all you'll need. Gravid females will start to trash the viv around a week before they lay and also go off food whilst looking pretty tubby, so if you see all these signs then you can be fairly certain that you'll get a clutch of eggs soon.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 am 
EGG
EGG

I Have Thought About Freezing The Eggs However I Really Do Think It Would Be Awesome To See My Babies Hatch, i get Paid From Work Next Week Anyway So Money Is Not An Issue Then, however instead Of Keeping The Full Clutch, im thinking Of Maybe Just Incubating 5 Or So Of The Eggs, that way Hopefully i Will Still See Some Babies But Wont Overload Myself With Them And Also It Wud Be Cheaper to feed, do you Think It Is Cruel Though To Simply Decide Which Eggs Live Or Die

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

To be absolutely honest attempting to raise any is not the best idea. Normal dragons are so common that you practically have to give them away to get homes and even if you only try raising 5 you will need an extra viv, full lighting, heating and UV and expect to be busy with them for 8 weeks before being able to sell any. Dragons just don't have the reserves to live on younger than that, especially if they go off food for more than a few days.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm 
EGG
EGG

I Really Dont Mean To Bother You And Keep Asking You Questions But It Seems To Be The Best And Easiest Way For myself, i have Bought 2 35litre black Storage Box's each Has A Lid, should i Use The Lif Or Not, i have Filled Them With Vermiculite Just Enough So my Beardie's Cant Climb Out, i then Proceeded To Put Water In The Box's As I have Read 1 Part Water To 2 parts Vermiculite, i tried Each Female In Each Box For Around 20 Minutes- 30 minutes, i dont Expect Them to Get It Done That Quick But Im Worried They Become Too Cold While In The Boxes For A Long Time, i bought 2 Medium Clamp Lights However They are Just The Fittings And I Will Need To Go Out To Buy A Bulb, the boxs Dont Fit In My Viv, i have Tried Monitoring The Temp Of The Boxes If i Put Them Near A Radiator, however the Radiator Turns It Self Off Every 10 Minutes Or So And back On In Another 10 To Avoid overheating. At The Moment Im Getting A Reading Of Arround 20 degrees Celcius , ive not Been Trying This With The Dragons In, however if I Put Them In, would the Heater Be Safe For Them, if so What Sortof Temperature Range Would I Be Needing To achieve?

P.s Thanks Rick, you really Know Your Stuff

Aswell As What Ive Mentioned, i can feel Bumps If I Stroke Their Sides And Im Thinking This Is Eggs, however i Still Havent Been Able To Handle My Male Dragon that well and So I Cant Really Feel What He Feels Like To Compare Them, ive noticed A Increase In Activity However This May Also Be Due to Them Settling In, ive noticed The Younger Female Likes To Lie Up On The Wall Which I Find A Bit Wierd but Also She Sortof Wall Runs Sometimes, he moods Are Sketchy, one day I Can Handle Her Fine And The Next She May Open Her Mouth In What I Feel Is A Threat To Bite Me, and then Other Day's she Will either Run Away To A Hide, run and Hide behind The Male, or just Run Away So I Cant Reach Her Then When I Change The Glass As Go In From The Other Side she merely Scurries Over To The Other Side, the larger Female Seems To Just Chill, if i Put Veg in, it gets Flung Around The Viv As Though They Are Digging In It, i can Hear Them Scratch claws As Though They Are Trying To Dig, yet when I Put Them In The Boxes They Just Sortof Chilled Again And Didnt Really Move, thats when I Decided To Abort Mission And Put Them Back In The Viv Cause They Felt Cool To Touch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

The boxes need to be at a constant 28C +/- otherwise they just won't be interested. The vermiculite needs to be at least 10 cm deep and I find that they prefer to be at least partially covered. You will also need to leave them in the box if they can't get in and out as they won't just lay "on demand". Other than that I can't really help I'm afraid.

Rick