mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vivarium Lighting Help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi I have a question about changing my Beardies lighting set up.
My current set up is a 4foot viv with an Arcadia Desert 10% UV tube running the full length above the doors with a full length reflector fitted behind it.
My heat source is from a 100watt Exxo Terra Sun Glo spot lamp hanging from the top of the viv at the hot end and controlled by a High Range Habistat giving me a basking area of 107degrees, a hot end of 92degrees and a cool end of 82degrees.

My problem is, as the spot lamp in current use is so large the basking area has to be quite low in the viv making the distance between the basking area and UV light rather large.
I have a high perch in the cool end, but he seems to spend more time in the cool end near the UV than he does basking.
My plan is to use two directional GU10 halogen lamps to give him two basking spots, one which will be higher and allow him to get close to the UV and one which will be further away from the UV, I will have a similar setup of branches at the cool end.

My question is, Are the GU10 40watt eco halogen bulbs they sell in B&Q, Homebase etc, ok to use for my basking/heat source, or is there a special GU10 bulb that I should use?

Sorry for being so long winded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I use GU10 fittings in a 1400 x 600 x 600 mm viv and with a single 50watt dimmable spot achieve 39C+ temps at the basking spot. I don't use the eco version but as I'm in Aus. I don't know what the equivalent is in the UK. My basking spot is a large lump of sandstone and it's pretty easy to vary the temp just by raising and lowering it as required. Here's a sample http://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-esse ... k_p4340168 Hope this helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:56 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks Rick
That is exactly what I am looking at putting in.
I will do a bench test to see what temps they get up to at different distances before making them a permanent fixture in the viv.
The Eco ones state that they consume 40watts of power and act as a 50watt bulb. If they don't get up to temp I will buy none Eco ones online in bulk.
My concern was that the spot lamp being used at the moment "apparently" emits UV-A, whereas the household spots don't. I had considered that the UV tube in the viv would take care of all ultraviolet needs and allowing my beardie better exposure to it would be of a higher benefit to him.
I just wanted confirmation that it was an alternative rather than charging into it blind.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I've been running them for 2 years now and have converted all my larger vivs to take them. They do need a little head room as the heat generated by the "standard" spotlight is pretty high at close quarters - I've got around 5cm clearance above them. You may also want to look at using the Arcadia 12% T5 lights for UV as they last for around 12 months+ before the UV levels drop to an unusable level. With the higher power you only need to fit a 2ft strip over the basking area. This also gives the benefit of providing a shady area at the cooler end which current research seems to indicate is beneficial. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9648 helps explain.

Rick