my Beardie Boris has had the same background I made for him for the last couple of years so I thought a would treat him to a nice new home after waking from his 2 month Nap (I wish I could have one of those
Anyway I thought I don't fancy going to the hassle of making a new background for him again as last time it took ages and I was hoovering up polystyrene beads up for months afterwards. so I thought I would have a little dig around to try and find a good 3d background without paying a ridiculous amount.
so I came across these http://stores.ebay.co.uk/aquariumsuppliesuk
seemed a cheap price and looked good and thought hmmmm I wonder if they will be actually any good. so I thought for the price I will take the plunge.
so I spoke to Dan at Aquarium supplies uk to ask some questions of whether the Backgrounds would be suitable for a Beardie. very nice man and very knowledgeable to be fair. he said it might not be suitable, if he scratches a lot but I could try coating it with a non toxic resin to toughen the outer layer to help to prevent any damage.
lucky for me a work for a composites company and they do a non toxic art resin which would be safe to use on the Background and for boris..
so after a complete strip down and clean of the viv
I got to work:
Now I needed 3 Backgrounds to cover my 4ft viv with a little cutting and shapeinghttps://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
I cut the Background with ease with a Sharp thin Blade to fit the viv and vent holes (the Backgrounds seemed very good quality for ebay itemshttps://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
Time to put the coating of resin on ithttps://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
now it was key to use multiple thin coats to prevent the resin pooling in the gaps which I found out after the first section https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
I did 10 coats just to be safe, the resin did leave the background glossy but it didn't bother me too much to be honesthttps://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
once the Art resin had fully Cured it was time to fix it into the viv.
I used a Aquarium safe silicone to stick the background into the viv https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
next I got him a new spotlight Bulb/Uv Bulb and all new toys for his viv including a hammock, jungle gym, basking rock and fake animal skull. I found amazon cheapest for all of these products although I'm particularly happy with the skull it does look cool .
I think finished it looks
for me and Boris after an initial week of sulking because I changed everything he seems settled and happy now.https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/
thanks for looking