mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:11 am 
EGG
EGG

Hello all :D

I am new to not only the forum but to owning a bearded dragon as well and I thought I would share my story.
A few days ago I brought my beardie home. I wasn't even looking for or thinking about owning a dragon of any kind, he really adopted me! I work at the SPCA in Pennsylvania and we accept all creatures large and small. People surrender their animals to us for many reasons good and bad. We pick up strays and wounded animals. Lastly and unfortunately we bring in what we call H.A's (Humane Acquisition). The ha's are the creatures our animal officers bring us, the abused, the ignored, the neglected and the forgotten. I came into work one day and there in the back room is this pathetic and lethargic little creature. From the moment I saw him his dull little eyes just seemed to say "I quit". He came to us because a distraught landlord called us to inform us he had tenants that moved out suddenly, skipped rent and skipped town. He hadn't realized they left until rent was due and this little bearded dragon was the only thing left in the apartment. In a cage without food or water for 2 weeks. That night I spent hours online looking up everything I could find on dragon care and nutrition. I spent the next few weeks nursing him back to health, falling in love with him and earning his trust until one day when I put my hand in his cage to replace his salad and he actually hopped down off his perch with my hand still moving. I let him explore his food and my hand and after a few strokes on the head and his sweet little eyes closed I picked him up for the first time! He clung to my shoulder for the next 30 min while I cleaned his cage. I was humbled by his trust and felt a weight off my shoulders that he was finally moving and interested in eating! Well I had off the next day so when I came in the following day I was told he hadn't eaten yet. I went to his cage and watched as the person who had tried to feed him the day before lifted the lid and went to reach their hand in. This is the first time I ever saw him puff up! It was hysterical! His little mouth hung open and his chin looked all dark! I was so pleased to see him so alert! I told her I would take care of it so she stepped back and watched as I took the bowl and began talking to him. What really moved me was that when I reached MY hand in to set the bowl down he shut his mouth and his little puff deflated! I pet his head. It was me he wanted. Just me! Well the Vet had given him the ok that morning so I looked at him and he looked at me and I said "All right baby, let's go home." And so it will be a week on Wednesday that he came home with me and it feels like he's been here forever. I'm searching hard for the right name for him. I can't believe how lucky I am to have him! He's still doing great and so when I found this page and got some great info from Michael I couldn't wait to tell my story and learn even more! I'm still trying to figure out a rough estimate of his age and as soon as I develop my film I'll post pics! And that's our story!

Thanks again Michael for the great info!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:22 am 
ADULT
ADULT

aww thats a great story! cant wait to see the pics. and the other guy who got puffed at must of been peed off lol. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:30 am 
EGG
EGG

Lol thank you so much and for the waxworm advice!!!! Yeah, she looked at me and then looked at him and jokingly said "Well oh well then your majesty!" Thanks for the comments!!! I couldn't be happier!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that lovely story - must admit I've got tears in my eyes even though I already knew some of it from the email you sent Michael. (I'm his mum by the way and admin of this site falls to me! :lol: )

It's seems incredible that someone just abandonned him like that. He sounds like he has a lovely character.

What have you called him?

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

What a wonderful story! :lol:

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

what a lovely story with a happy ending, well done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: he sounds like he loves you as much as you love him :D :D
Claire

2 children Chloe & Daniel
1 dog-Tilley
3 cats-Ralphie 3, Heidi 2, & Freya 1
2 Tortoises-Hagrid & Blossom
2 Hamsters Brodie/Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Like Trish I had tears in my eyes when reading your story, poor little thing :(
Well done for taking him on, it already sounds like he has settled in and trusts you. :D

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 pm 
EGG
EGG

You should call him trust, he gained yours and you gained his.

1 Beardie - Pebbles (Male)
1 Beardie - Sandy (female)
Daughter - Paige 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 am 
EGG
EGG

Webmaster wrote:Thanks for sharing that lovely story - must admit I've got tears in my eyes even though I already knew some of it from the email you sent Michael. (I'm his mum by the way and admin of this site falls to me! :lol: )

It's seems incredible that someone just abandonned him like that. He sounds like he has a lovely character.

What have you called him?

Thank you so much Trish! Even though I've worked at the SPCA for years it never fails to horrify me how easily people abandon these little loved ones! I got teary just writing it thinking of my baby all alone for so long! Curse them! He has a wonderful personality! I still haven't named him. I've been looking up names online and getting great ideas from people here on the forum! I want his name to really fit him! I just know when I see it it will ring a bell!!! I let you know as soon as I settle on the proper name! Thanks for your support and for caring so much about these little loves!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 am 
EGG
EGG

JoshuasMummy wrote:What a wonderful story! :lol:

Thank you!!!!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:50 am 
EGG
EGG

Marbo wrote:what a lovely story with a happy ending, well done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: he sounds like he loves you as much as you love him :D :D
Claire

It seems that way :) I just adore him!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 am 
EGG
EGG

Kathryn wrote:Like Trish I had tears in my eyes when reading your story, poor little thing :(
Well done for taking him on, it already sounds like he has settled in and trusts you. :D

Thank you so much! I was teary just writing it. I had no idea this strange little creature could be so loving!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:52 am 
EGG
EGG

Teri & Jason wrote:You should call him trust, he gained yours and you gained his.

That's definitely a candidate!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

just read your story and I also had a tear in my eye, I dont know how people can abandon animals liek that. look forward to seeing some pics!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 pm 
EGG
EGG

hayley/bez wrote:just read your story and I also had a tear in my eye, I dont know how people can abandon animals liek that. look forward to seeing some pics!!

Thank you! It's awful isn't it! I'll post some as soon as I get them, I can't wait. I already have a frame waiting to put in my room too!

Proud Mom of:
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Green Tree Frog
5 Fish
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Dog
3 Cats