mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP NEEDED PLEASE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:59 am 
EGG
EGG

I HAVE RECENTLY GOT MY SON 2 BEARDED DRAGONS BOTH ABOUT 12 WEEKS OLD ONE OF THEM IS SO FULL OF LIFE AND GROWING REALLY FAST BUT THE OTHER ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE GROWING AND HAS WHAT LOOKS LIKE A BLISTER OR DARK BELLY SOME DAYS SHE LIES DOWN AND LOOKS LIKE ITS DEAD UNTIL I PUT MY HAND IN AND OTHER DAYS ITS CHASING CRICKETS I DID HAVE SAND IN THERE BUT TOOK IT OUT AS I READ ITS NOT GOOD FOR BABIES SINCE I STARTED GIVING THEM CARROTS AND CRESS IT HAS PICKED UP BUT ITS BELLY IS A DARK GREEN CLOSE TO BLACK CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP THANKS :(

Post subject: Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Assuming you haven't been sold a very sick dragon then regretfully you've done what most beginners do and bought 2 dragons (probably on advice of a shop). Dragons are a solitary creature and even as babies don't do well when together, what usually happens is that one will bully the other and this doesn't always show as physical bullying but can be quite subtle - looks alone can do it. The bullied dragon will not feed well, stays in the cooler areas, often hiding away thus not getting UV or the heat required for digestion. Darkened bellies also indicate stress so all in all it is more than likely that there is bullying going on. There are only two real solutions in this event, one is to separate them (two vivs) the other is to re home one of the babies as it is very unlikely to improve.
There are two other items that can cause these problems. First is intestinal parasites, to check this you would need to get a fecal float done, this checks their droppings for parasites. If present a vet can then give you a treatment to fix the problem. The other is shedding, this will often put a dragon off its food but they bounce back once it's all over. I will say however that neither of these are as likely to cause the problem you're seeing as the bullying situation.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 am 
EGG
EGG

I HAVENT SEEN BULLYING AND THEY BOTH EAT AND SLEEP TOGETHER I WAS TOLD 1 IS FEMALE THE OTHER IS MALE SHE IS PICKING UP BUT NOT GETTING RID OF THIS MARK THE MALE HAS JUST SHED HIS SKIN I DONT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TEMP FEEDING ETC THEY SHOULD BE AT SO UR HELP WILL BE VERY GREATFUL THANKS :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:52 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Like Rick said bullying can be just a look and not fighting, but it can still cause major problems.
Your temps should be no higher them 80 in the cool end and 105/110 on the basking spot. At 3 months they should be feed at least 2 times aday, 3 if possibe. Allow them to eat as many as they want to in 10mins sessions, dust 1 lot of livefood a day with your vit supplement, wahht are you using?
Are you prepeared for them to breed when they are a liitle bit older?

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 am 
EGG
EGG

i have just got a new 4ft by 2ft by 2ft viv for them i didnt get told what things i need but found out i need a thermostat to control the temp i was told to use neutrabol if thats rite once every day dusting the crickets they told me to use sand which i got only to read its bad for them so taken that out and use kitchen roll they told me to feed crickets twice a week and veg the rest of the time when i got them i got a hide with them which is glazed which silly me put in the baskin spot it got tha hot tha maybe i was thinkin i have burnt my beardies belly ? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Kiddies play sand is fine (no other sand is safe), but only for when they're older. You can buy sand stones, treat them, and put them in the viv with the kid's play sand in between them. This is a popular thing to do and it also keeps those claws trim! For now I'd stick to the paper.

Feeding live food twice a week is a very bad thing to advise people to do, and I'm confused as to why they told you that. As has been said, two to three times a day is what they should be fed, as many as they'll eat in ten minuets. And lots of veg should be available all day and taken out at night and replaced in the morning. They're growing fast and need the protein from their live food to develope properly. Do they have a good fat build up?

A stat is esencial for the lights, a dimming stat so that the heat and light is gradually brung down at night. They need to be cold so they can sleep. It sounds strange, but it's the right thing to do. They do have a spot buld and a UV strip? The UV strip needs to be the length of the viv, so in your case for foot long. And the spot light needs to be to one end. A basking spot for them.

I wouldn't put a hide in for them, but that might just be me. If they choose to hide away they won't get enough UV and they'll become ill. You can put a plastic plant in the viv for them, but they actually like it quite plain.

If they are male and female they will mate later on. The male will constantly try to mount the female and will not leave her alone. This, along with beardies being solitary animals may cause fighting which can lead to some very unpleasnt ends. Also, it's not good for the female's health and can make her ill or worse. It's important that you know this and you are prepared for it. And perpared for the eggs that will be layed. If they need seperating you will need to be able to buy all of the equipment again, including another four foot viv, so they can live seperatly. Do you have the money and the space for another viv set-up?
It is likely that the dominant Dragon is bullying they other one. Bullying, just like with people, can't always be seen. Intimadation can also work just as well and you may not be able to read it like the Beardies can. If your other one isn't happy you need to seperate him/her, and let him/her have space of it's own.

I hope that helps.