mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EXTREMELY WORRIED!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Hi guys my beardie has really gone off his hoppers last couple months doesn't seem to eat any lettuce and mopes about quite a lot now always used to be up and down wondering around eating hoppers if they were in there but now just seems sad been like this for about a month or so and so not getting any calcium or nutrobol in to his system , I have been having him out for cuddles try cheer him
Up , but goes back in and just sits there.
My only saving grace is that he has been eating meal worms when I feed him them and put some cal I and nutrobol on but other than that am really worried he is getting ill I'm ringing my vets Tuesday as bank holiday tomoz and getting in asap any ideas what I could do as only thing I can think is give him smaller hoppers maybe or some large crickets? Please help :(

Post subject: Re: EXTREMELY WORRIED!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Firstly they can go weeks without eating so don't panic yet. I've found that it is usually due to a build up of intestinal parasites so do take a fecal sample with you for testing (if possible). Other than that I'm afraid it'll be up to your vet as there are so many different causes (including just going off hoppers :( and deciding that he'd like a change in diet).

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:48 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

I have taken him for a check up before and they suggested that gave him some stuff for that reason and he went back to been ok after was out his system but if it's same reason again why is he getting it? , as for diet change what other live food can I give him cause greens wise could use kale and other stuff which I know about

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Live food can carry the eggs, if the viv wasn't cleaned completely eggs can stay in cracks and you could even pick them up yourself from outdoors and carry them in on your hands! Most dragons seem to carry a very low number of parasites and have no problems, but if they're run down or the weather gets a bit cold the parasites will (at times) multiply, this is wgy it's always worth getting a check done annually.
As for live food, there are crix, roaches, superworms and silkworms - all worth trying.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 am 
EGG
EGG

Anzac loves Blueberries, she has gone off most veg at the moment but will always eat Blueberries.
Anzac changes what she will eat time to time but things she loves butternut, courgettes favourite at the moment, nasturtium flower and leaf, honeysuckle flowers, peach & watercress. But she is not eating much at the moment either.

Living with Toffee The Boxer Dog
Anzac The Bearded Dragon