mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:40 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, we rehomed a male last sunday and ever since have been worried about him. He has only eaten once which was on tues about 13 crickets which we hand fed him. I offer fresh veg everyday. He has been out alittle every day for about 5 min and then he takes himself back into his house. He has been showing a black beard very regulary and I under stand this is stress. We have since tried different live food but he sees it and closes his eyes like he is trying to hide. But today I am more worried about him as this morning he bite my son as he went into get him out for a bath ( we didn't bath him we left him alown) and since has just slept alday. I really hope he is not sick but also would like you guys help to see if we are doing anything wrong? The lady we got him from said she just used to put monio worms in once a week and that would last him, but I have since read you should take out any uneaten food so have not tried this. She also told use he was used to being handle but I am now not so sure..

thank you so much for any help you can give us. :cry: :( :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:14 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Firstly they can take up to a week (sometimes more) to settle before eating. Bathing is not needed see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1372 and feeding Morios once a week is not good husbandry! So can you tell me a little of the set up you have, size of viv, temps hot and cold ends, subsstrate typpe of lighting heating etc. These can all affect his behaviour. Once I know these I can see what we need to do next.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 am 
EGG
EGG

Thank you for getting back to me. His home is 47inc long 24 depth and 24 height sorry I do not know the exact term for the size. We have a red basking light which I can not see the wattage and a strip light running right across the tank which again has no wattage on it. The basking spot is between 100 and 105 and the cool side is 60? He seems to be awake this morning but every time we go near the glass he goes black . Thank you so much for your help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

OK temps are good as is size of viv - are you switching heat and light off overnight? If not then you should as they do need a cooling down period overnight, you should also change the red light for a standard white household spotlight say 75 watt as dragons prefer to bask under bright white light. The strip light should provide the UV and should be replaced every 6~12 months. Try leaving him alone other than placing food in with him for a few days to see if he'll calm down - they cn go for a couple of weeks without eating so there's nothing to worry about yet. What food are you offering? Try some dandelion or nasturtium flowers as they are normally quite partial to these.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks rick, should I keep offering him crickets? As I think when we have to take them out it stress's him out x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Leave the live food for a few days but keep putting veg in. Have you tried morio worms? He may not recognise crickets at this point.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 am 
EGG
EGG

Yes I tried them when he first arrived also tried meal worms locus and crickets lol. We just left him alone yesterday and he seems happy that way although took himself to bed at 1pm again and slept all day and night?!?!?! I'm going to give it 2 more days and take him to the vet for a check up I think x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

What's the weather like there at the moment? Variable temps can cause appetite loss and sleeping.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:23 pm 
EGG
EGG

its been really hot for us anyway its 27 today and has been up to 35!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Not weather upsetting him then. Probably a good idea to get him checked if he doesn't look up in a couple of days.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:44 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi, he has had a lot better day today! Has been out 2x once in the garden! And we put mealworms on my sons bedroom floor and he chased them around eating them all 10 in total and 2 crickets!!!! Still took himself to bed at 3pm and was sound asleep but feel so much better about things. Thank you so much for all your help

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Sounds like he's settling in properly now!

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:37 pm 
EGG
EGG

yes he is, looks like he also likes to be feed out side of his house lol has eaten 4 crickets today...