Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilma Bullying Betty!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:40 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi,

I haven't posted on here for a long time as luckily nothing has gone wrong...Until Now!

I currently have 2 Female Bearded Dragons (Betty and Wilma), they are both believed to be about a year and month old and I've had them since December 24th 2013. My previous Beardie Brian passed away a few months prior to that, so I decided to get an older Beardie or 2 as he was only about 6 months old when he died. I got them from a guy who loves his reptiles and rescues them when people can't take care of them so he just wanted to re-home them both to a home that would look after them properly. He told me they came together and were together most there life, so I brought them home!

I've had no problems with them at all and they've gotten on really well! They both love being handled and both love sitting on window-ledge in my room, I can't sit in my room without them wanting to be out.

Basicly the problem started about 2 weeks ago, Wilma has started to bite Betty and bounce her head up and down before and after biting her! Not big bites but just a pinch...but she holds on! I've tried to separate them but her grip is strong! When she does some times she goes all stiff and wraps her legs and tail around Betty...when she does this there's no stoping her, I have to hold Wilma so Betty can wriggle free and then Wilma stays in this position for 5/10 mins, breathing but stiff as a board! When she wakes up she acts like nothing happened! Betty has never fought back. So Im worried that Wilma has started to bully Betty. Betty is the biggest in size so I'd of thought she'd be the bully if there was one! I've read that housing 2 beardies is a risk but I thought/got told by someone who knows loads about reptiles that as they've been together there whole life they'd be fine! I'm just really worried as I don't want to separate them, especially as I can't fit in a second vivarium and don't want to give one up, obviously if I need to separate them then I'll have to make a decision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Dave

P.s sorry for such a long post!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Sorry but the advice given you was wrong. Housing any combinations of male/female dragons together presents a risk of some sort, it's just that the lowest risk is seen with two females. Even then they can live together happily for some time and then for no apparent reason one will turn on the other with the possibility of a fight to the death. There is only one solution here I'm afraid and that is to separate them ensuring that they can't even see each other, as even this can cause aggressive behaviour. :(

Rick