mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Rather than bring the subject up each time someone joins and tells us that they’ve just bought two baby dragons I feel it time to put a single post up addressing this matter.
Basically in the wild these are solitary creatures coming together for mating purposes only, they are quite territorial and as such will attack any intruders into their space and when this space consists of 8 sq ft of cabinet they can get very possessive at times. Some breeders and most shops will happily sell you two babies saying that they are from the same clutch and will get on fine when in fact it’s almost certain that at some time in their life they will turn on the cage mate and (if you’re lucky) injure him/her quite badly. Some people will tell you that they have kept dragons together happily and this is true, but the majority have to be separated by 18 months of age due to aggression/domination/mating problems. Of the three domination is the one that sneaks up on you, a dragon can dominate another by posture and looks alone, the secondary dragon will not eat until the first has had all the best food, doesn’t bask well as the primary dragon hogs the best areas and generally fails to thrive. One day you notice that one is considerably bigger than the other and at that point separation and hand feeding of the dominated dragon is the only way to rectify this situation.
Obviously there are three combinations of pairing:-
Male/male – guaranteed to fight and quite probably to the death if not caught quickly.
Male/female – almost guaranteed to continually breed with the resultant loss of calcium and general stress due to constant mating shortening the life of your dragon drastically.
Female/female – this combination may work if they can sort out a domination/pecking order although even here one can flip and savage the other for no apparent reason. If you do insist on trying this combination then a 6ft enclosure is a minimum requirement with two basking spots preferred so that they can each “own” a bit of personal space.
Dragons really don’t need a companion animal and providing one often leads to more problems than any apparent “friend” solves. So if you have been sold a pair please be prepared for the cost of separating them at some later stage or having to dispose of one due to aggression as they grow older.
I have locked this thread as I prefer to answer any questions on the matter individually and so if you want to question or clarify any points I’ve raised then please start a new thread in the section “Buying a Bearded Dragon” .

I will add that as a breeder myself I will not sell any one more than one dragon unless I know that they are experienced and that they will be kept in separate enclosures.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Here's an example of a cage mate turning after 4 years!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 822&type=1

Rick

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]