mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:22 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi all. I am a mum of five with the two youngest at home. ( 8 & 12 ). I have had my Norbit for three weeks now. I have wanted a bearded dragon for over 8 years now. I feel in love with a pair a friend had and my Hubby point blankly said no. After years of nagging and lots of research on my side i got my way.
He has settled in very well. Eats really well to the point yesterday he ran up my arm to get to the box i bring the crickets into him. Anyone would think he was starving . He had just started to shed when i got him. he has now finished that. im not sure exactly how old he is as was told born in may so im taking mid way and saying hes 5 half months. He seems to be putting on 16-17g a week now weighs 222g. does this sound about right? He looks fine. when i asked where i got him they said they dont weigh their bearded dragons do where not much help.
Talking of the devil he is at his door waiting to be feed. hes learnt very quickly. lol.

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - for a 5 month old dragon he may be a little heavy, how much does he get in the way of food each day? Can you tell us a little about the viv as well as we may be able to fine tune things for you. Temps, type of lighting and heating, substrate, size of viv etc.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 am 
EGG
EGG

Hes in a 4ft by 2ft deep by 2 ft high. I have a spot light in basking point temp of 42.2c any higher and he just sits on sand away from it. i have a desert arcadia 10% +uvb light with t8 reflector. I also have at theromstate on basking , cool end is between 26 and 27.3 c.dont seem to be able to get cool end any lower without the hot end getting to cool he has 10 large brown crickets (size 5 ) in day with a dish of veg. which he eats some every day. He has play sand on floor as this is what he was on already. not had any problem with it. Im not sure of his first weight as i did not want to upset him before he settled in. As you have said before uk ones seem to be heavier then normal. i told between 15 -20g aweek is about right for weight gain. if this is wrong i would like your input as you seem to know what your talking about. i hope this is enough info for you. i want to get this alright as i dont want any thing to happy to him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:05 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Can't fault any of the husbandry and given the food regime there's nothing needs changing. Once he gets near the 400 ~ 450 gm mark you can assume he's hit adult size and will only need one life feed every second day, but still offer veg daily. No other advice I can offer so just sit back and enjoy!

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:28 am 
EGG
EGG

Thankyou for your reply. im glad you agree that im doing things right. it puts my mind at rest. i can now really enjoy him and know if i do have a problem where to come.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:14 pm 
EGG
EGG

hope u can help norbit decided to keep jumping up to the uvb light. he kept catching the reflector. he then ran around the viv like a mad thing, rubbing , running into the glass and knodding his head. only change is different cricket supplier but cant see it being that. since ive turned lamps off for night he kept going for about 20mins and is now layed out in front of viv which is unusal as normally goes to back. any pointers would be grateful for im at a loss.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Teenage behaviour! They all seem top go through a stage where they get a little aggressive, over active and generally carry on like a teenage boy - it does settle down however!!

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:26 am 
EGG
EGG

hi Rick thought i should ley you that Norbit stopped eating yesterday . this morning when lights went on he came to the front and suddenly went into what looked like a fit. his beard went black and he arched his back with his mouth wide open. it looked like he was choking. he passed away. im sure i did nothing wrong . only been a short while with him but i will miss my little man thanks for all your help cresta x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

:( Given what you've told me about his husbandry I wouldn't think it was anything you did. Dragons are very good at concealing illness so it's quite possible he had a problem before you ever got him.

Rick