mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 am 
EGG
EGG

Sorry another question from me! My husband is picking up our adult bearded dragon tonight, at 8pm.so he ll prob be in his new viv by 9pm. We thought to put lights timer - 6.30am-8pm. So my question is do I put lights on at 9pm and how long should I leave it on for him?. Sorry if it s a silly question. Lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hopefully he'll be pretty much asleep and you can just pop him in the cool end of the viv and cover it up for the night with no lights/heat on. I really prefer to bring dragons in to a new set up in the morning as it gives them time to explore and settle a little. In this case however just ensure he isn't disturbed and ohhed and aahed over :) until the next day. He should be OK that way.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm 
EGG
EGG

Okay great thanks. But what ya mean by cover it up? You mean an actual blanket for it?? Lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 pm 
EGG
EGG

Oh or you meant cover up the viv? :oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I bet you are so excited :lol: I couldn't wait to get mine and had to wait till after we had finished our hols :lol: They are great pets :lol: :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 pm 
EGG
EGG

Yeah I am! But a bit nervous as it ll be my first reptile. Hope he s happy with us and his new viv.

My kids r begging to stay up past their bedtime to meet the beardie. Told them that they can have a quick look as long as they r very quiet then straight to bed. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:28 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Aah that's so sweet :) just be aware that when they go asleep they totally slow everything down and go really cold and sometimes look almost dead :) but that's their normal for sleep as in the wild, nights are cold and its how they cope with nightime :) I used to be touching mine to make sure it was alive :lol: :lol: They really are great Characters :) Im excited for you :lol: :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Cover the viv.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 am 
EGG
EGG

Our Steve (son suggested this name! lol)

he s a good one, seemed to be calm and not skittish at all. He wasnt bothered when he was being handled. even by our children. He got around his viv good and did a big poop this morning which my son insisted on taking a pic of it :roll: however am wondering... is he overweight?? We were taken aback with his size as we only really saw loads of babies and teenagers, they are tiny comparing to him. I was worried about my cat, Tess, and thought my dog, Vesper, will be fine as she had met a few reptiles and she was fine with them. However, it was another way around, Cat was disinterested but the dog was shaking when she saw Steve (he was in viv). So we are keeping her away from him and the viv for now.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:16 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Good pics :lol: Lovely Dragon :lol: He is definatly a He isn't he (has he two bulges at the base of his tail or just one :lol: just a thought :lol: :lol: He may just be a big boy, did they say what they fed him on and how old he is :lol: give him a few days to settle and have a go at weighing him (he should be having hoppers (Locust) every 3rd day but fresh greens every day and remember to put calcium on twice a week (live food) :lol: The experts are great on here and Rick sexed my Therru as Male :) I thought I had got a Female :lol: :lol: So glad he is laid back and looks like he has landed in heaven :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

He does look very 'bonny' :wink:
Keep him on his 'normal' feeding regime for a few days and then weigh him when he is more settled :D Once we know his weight we can give you some advice on how often to feed him :P

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 am 
EGG
EGG

Hiya all!

Steve's owner had said that he would eats roughly six hoppers every thrid days and plenty of vegs in between. His favourite is cucumber. However so far he s not eating which I know it s normal as he is still settling in. He did "glass dancing" yesterday evening so we let him out and he had a good run aboud then decided to take himself back to the viv and settled on the basking area and went to sleep. Cute! I was tempted to tuck him in. Why couldnt my children and other animals do the same!

What do kind of weight scale you use? Just normal one that we use?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Any set of scales that will give an accurate figure in grams for preference up to 1 kg.

Rick