mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hey guys & girls.

I have adopted a 1 and a half year old male Dragon (maybe 2), and I have just a few queries pleeeeeeease :).

Due to a very close friends family loss, I was asked to take on her husbands Breaded Dragon.
Now, I was probably only asked because I myself have had a Leopard Gecko for few years, still going strong :lol: .
Well, how could I resist tbh. First, I'd do anything I can in the families very very difficult time :cry: , and second, I love Lizards.

Anyways, enough of the sentiment, to the queries.
I was of course given all the equipment, a 4x2x2 viv with tiles floor, a few bricks in which to mount the Slate basking slab. Water & Food dish. The UVB and controller, and the Red Spotlight attached to an Habistat Dimmer. Both the UVB and Spotlight are connected to a timer plug also, set for 8am-8pm.

The setup I have done ok with I think, as the knowledge from the Leo's has helped there. And I have left everything as the family had It before (setting), apart from the Viv decor, I have no idea how they had it arranged.

The main thing Is what to expect with his temperament. He was I'm told very very tame, child friendly, and was happy to sit on shoulders and arms without a care in the world. And I know he was loved and looked after.

I have had him 48 hours now, and he has eaten some crickets and 3 large locust, and on the first day ate his greens. Today he had few crickets and a couple of large locust, but not even looked at his greens, and he poop'ed.

The family I got him from was unable to tell me his feeding routines. Although he was the families lizard, it was the husband who dealt with feeding etc.
What do you guys recommend?

Also, he has been trying to climb his viv, not getting far I might add :roll: , And I know this is a common trait, but Is it anything to worry about?

And about handling. He is going to have to get use to me I should imagine like any animal, what do you suggest?.
Shall I just pick him up?, as tbh, I am extremely weary just due to his size In comparison to my Leo :lol: . And I want him to not feel scared of me and eventually feel the love and friendship myself and my family (although mainly me) are dedicated to giving to him.

So any advise would be very very helpful :evil: 8) .

And awesome forums guys. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi - well firstly he'll take a few days to settle so don't be concerned about feeding and attitude at this stage. What temps do you have him at? You need a basking spot around 39~42C with the cool side mid 20's and to brighten him up I'd swap the red heat light for a standard RO 80 spotlight of the same wattage. These guys love basking under bright white light and tend to be livelier with good lighting. As for handling, just let him settle for a week then start but try not to pick him up from above at first, just slide your hand under him and scoop him up.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:09 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Wow, fast reply. Thank you so much.

The basking side today was (via digital thermometer) around 38c. And the cool side was 25c. Maybe the coolside could be cooler?, although he so far has spent 99% of his time under the light, even when off at night, he's popper stretched out.

The previous owner has the stat prob attached the the wall about halfway up on the heatlamp side. I did read on here people say for a good gradient it should be on the cool side and then the stat set to the coolside temp. What would you suggest?.

And tomorrow I will go and get him a Spotlight. And I will keep you updated 8)

Thanks again.

Dam your a friendly bunch. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Fast replies are easy when you post in the evening and I'm just getting up in the morning here in Aus. :lol: Cool side is OK but I'd try lifting the basking spot a couple of degrees. It's usual to set the sender around 10 cm from the cool side wall at around 25~28C in a 1200 mm viv. This should then give a temp around 39C at the basking spot - this can be varied by raising or lowering the basking spot itself. This is a pretty good post on the use of thermostats and describes them pretty well. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=397

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:23 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi, and welcome ; glad you came to this forum its the best :lol: love to see some pics of your Beardie when you get him sorted :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi and welcome!

Once your new guy has settled in you will have a great time getting to know him. Feeding wise as rick said he woun't get into a routine until until he is settled in. But for an adult beardie (this is what i do with my two others may offer more advice!) Veg every morning and live food three days a week, both with supplements.

Did they tell you what veg to be giving him?

They do like getting human attention, well my two certainly do. and as rick said put your hand underneath him, trick is to support his whole body this way he will feel safe when being picked up! They do like sitting on shoulders as beardies like to be up high so that they can see all going on around them.

They are great lizards so different from gecko's ( i have one myself). You will enjoy getting to know him. :D

1 husband, 2 beardies, 1 leopard gecko, 2 corn snakes, 1 royal bp.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:44 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I posted pictures In my "Introduce yourself" post HERE

As for the food. He has not touched his fresh greens today. But I got some Spring greens from Tesco, also a mixed veg pack.
Is there anything you guys recommend, and advise to avoid?

Also, what fruits can he have?.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I think this site will answer pretty much all your questions on veg and fruit http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

That site is excellent ; The lady also rescues Beardies :) its good to print of and keep for reference :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Quick update.
He is settling fine, and has now been named Elliot. My name is Pete....Pete's Dragon....the old movie....yea....Anyways. I've not had him out as yet, but he is fine with my hand In the viv99% of the time, has puffed up few times. But he allows me to stroke him, and he bloody loves it, the back of his neck (lower head), he closes his eyes as if he is enjoying it so much.
Will give it a few more days and I'll attempted to get him out.

I also took Rick's advice, and got a nice bright standard spotlight bulb (75w), which also stabilized the Viv temps. Im getting a steady 40/41c on Basking spot, and 24/25c on cool side. I also repositioned the stat probe. Its now on the cool side wall about half way up. I did try it in middle, but i found the cool side temps were staying to cool for what they consider the standard :) .

He has not touched greens in about 4 days, so Im holding off the live food for few days and just keep those green fresh every morning see how he does.

Anyways guys, I'm loving this forum. Im ALWAYS on here reading posts, gaining knowledge and tips. So well done. Keep up the good work, we all really appreciate it 8)

Lazy man :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:46 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

He looks quite laid back there :lol: lovely pictures :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:09 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Good to hear that he's settling in well. Eating veg can be a nightmare at times but in most cases perseverance will win. :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

First of all Bonjour :D

He looks really relaxed so thats a good thing.Also dont worry to much about the greens,put them in every morning but to quote me...`most of the time it is to be ignored,sometimes it is to be thrown around the viv, and on a rare occasion it is to be eaten` :D

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Thanks for the replies. Yea he is pretty relaxed. I really should try and pick him up. It's me rather than him. I can stroke him no worries, just the size of him is something I have not had before. I should just do it lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Lol , we have had our girls for about a year now and i still dont like picking them up.Iam ok when they are put on me but the actual picking up i dont do unless i have to.