mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie at this
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:09 am 
EGG
EGG

i am looking at buying a starter kit but im on a budget and from what ive read online it states that bigger tank is better especially for when they grow as i only have upto £150 to spend on a starter kit as well as the bearded dragon and live in sunderland im unsure on where to start or where to buy from any suggestions are helpful thanks

Post subject: Re: newbie at this
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:38 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I can't help with where to buy, but I can say that a starter kit is false economy as gragons grow very quickly an with 12 months you'd be needing to expand to a 4ft setup. Others here will be able to help on where to get items but before buying do re-check with us as many places will try selling stuff not really needed/suitable for dragons i.e. wood chip substrate, heat mats, hot rocks.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 am 
EGG
EGG

well if i try looking on here for suggestions for a 4 foot tank itll be easier instead of going for starter kits i always look on pets at home website or in store but thought id get info on net first before bursting into store and making wrong move.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi, try looking on the likes of Gumtree and ebay for a viv. i managed to pick one up for £35 and it came with food and water dish and the lighting was already installed, i just bought new lamps a couple of logs. In total it cost me £120 including price of the dragon. Pic Below.....

All this for the budget price of £125. so ya shouldn't have any woories about going over your budget.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You need a simple 4ft viv wired fot a light at one end for heating and provision for a strip light as a UV source. A dimming thermostat is best for heat control and a standard spotlight around 75 watt will provide heating (no need for fancy reptile heat bulbs). If you start with a baby then lino or kitchen paper as substrate a rock for a basking spot and some branches as a jungle gym and that's about it. A couple of bowls for food and a small bowl for water (which it'll probably never drink) just about completes a basic set up. No need for heat mats, calcisand, special infra red lights etc. Hopefully this will help you get a nice reasonably priced set up.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm 
EGG
EGG

im going to have a look on ebay i did find one but had nothing with it just the vivirium and the stand so will have a proper look, i was looking at using kitchen paper until i get tiles just to start off with

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

As already said Gum tree or preloved or ebay :D sometimes you can rescue one as well :D As Rick said All you need to know is on this forum :D

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

My advice would be to take your time in looking and something will turn up in budget. I got my 4ft viv off eBay. It was brand new, never built and came with an unused 3ft UV lamp, 100W basking lamp, digital twin thermostat and dimming thermostat control for the basking lamp. Basically everything needed other than furnishings, the guy was selling it because after he bought it all he found he couldn't keep a lizard so got it at a fraction of new cost. It took me a while to come across though so don't rush, and don't buy unless your satisfied.

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
EGG
EGG

Yeh i agree with other comments on here i waited around looking for best offers then one popped up and i got 2 beardies, viv plus full set up , lights etc basking rock few climbing logs all for £110 . But i would recommend getting 4ft viv from the off as be fully grown within 12-18 months

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 am 
EGG
EGG

well im going to my local pet shop in town which have loads of bearded dragons in and babies as well which is good for me and going to see what setup they have in store to what i buy really but looking on ebay mostly cause all i can find on gumtree is loads of 1 year old dragons with vivs and setups and i dont want a grown one id rather bring one up from being a baby but shall keep updating this hoping to get it from my sister and mam for christmas :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi, look on the post thread 'what to look for when buying a Bearded Dragon' :D so exciting you must put a pic on when you do get him or her :D

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 pm 
EGG
EGG

just keep in mind most pet shops will encourage you to buy 3ft for baby beardies but thats mainly because they want you to go back 12 months later to get a 4ft and pets at home will also encourage you to buy a heat mat again this is not needed i also noticed pets at home give you poor advice on what u really need they told me i didn't need a basking spot luckily i new different but for some one that knows very little you could be going home with a pet that cant be properly cared for not your fault but down to poor advice take what they say with a pinch a salt do your own research and read this forum lots of good and correct advice on here