mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a Beardie!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi, I'm new to the forum and my wife and I have been thinking about getting a Bearded Dragon. I've been looking through lots of posts and it all seems quite daunting and I want to make sure we go in with our eyes open. My main concern is that we both work all day so leave the house about 7am and don't return until after 5pm. Do beardies like being left for that long? Also, is it best to buy from a local breeder or shop? Scales and Tales (Leicester) is just down the road from me at work, so I thought about popping in there for a chat. Also, with regards to holidays etc, I've seen places offering reptile boarding, are these reliable?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice! :mrgreen:

George
DoB: Early 2011

Post subject: Re: Buying a Beardie!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Can't help with advice on boarding but I do know that all ours prefer to be in the living area with things going on around them. Also as babies they do need regular daytime feeding to promote growth so with your working hours you'd need to consider getting a sub-adult or adult dragon.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi
I don't think the beardie would care about you not being there as long as it was fed but someone else on the forum may know better.

As I understand it they need a few hours to digest food so you would need to put live food in first thing or as soon as you got home and the lights/heat would need to stay on for at least an hour or so.

Can I suggest you get an older beardie as juveniles need feeding a couple of times a day.
If you got an older dragon you could put veg in first thing in the morning and live food might not be needed every day depending on how old it was. You could then save the live for for hand feeding so your beardie would associate you with special food.

I've managed to arrange a dog walker/pet sitter when I go away as that way she stays in her own viv, so that is another option for holidays.

Maybe wait for some of the experts to come on the forum and give a more throrough answer. I've had my beardie for three weeks and it's not that bad in fact I'm slightly smitten with her!

0.1.0 Hier. Mem. - Jackie Chan
1.0.0 Dog - Harry
1.1.0 Humans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Electric Ant wrote:Maybe wait for some of the experts to come on the forum and give a more throrough answer.

By that I meant Rick and co...didn't realise he had got his reply in first....

0.1.0 Hier. Mem. - Jackie Chan
1.0.0 Dog - Harry
1.1.0 Humans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Thanks for the replies, from research it appears getting a slightly older Beardie would be the way to go. As for set-up, are the full set up offers any good or is it worth buying bits individually? Am I likely to be able to get an older Beardie from a shop? I'm sure you've been asked these question a thousand times. I've found this offer online: http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/complete-be ... -4292.html

George

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi Dunk,

The best starter kits (And the only ones I would recommend) are on essexreptile.co.uk. Paul has actually spent time working with experienced Beardie owners to put the kit together properly so It doesnt include anything you dont need.
We also have a 5% discount with them which can be found in the members only section.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Hi Daniel
Thanks for the tip, I'd been looking at their site too. Any tips on buying an older Beardie as suggested above. What age should I be looking for so that they are happy to be fed in the morning and will be okay until we get home from work?

George

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Id say look for around a year old if possible. At that age youd start to look at slowing down the livefood to 2-3/3-4 times per week. I work 8:30am till 6pm every week day. Tia gets a fresh bowl of greens before I go to work once her lights come on and gets her livefood when I get home usually around 6:30pm. Her lights dont go off until 8:30-9:00pm so she has at least 2 hours basking afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

HI, the link you provided is quite a good deal minor the calci sand. Im sure you are aware of the resons as you have been reading up ;). Either that or ebay is always a good option, you could even build your own vivarium at a lower cost :D

As for a older beardie http://www.preloved is always good you may be able to rehome a older one. Any age above 18 months would be fine really to fit your feeding schedule.

All the best
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Danny/saxo wrote:HI, the link you provided is quite a good deal minor the calci sand. Im sure you are aware of the resons as you have been reading up ;). Either that or ebay is always a good option, you could even build your own vivarium at a lower cost :D

As for a older beardie http://www.preloved is always good you may be able to rehome a older one. Any age above 18 months would be fine really to fit your feeding schedule.

All the best
Danny

I have read about calci sand and would look at sandstone tiles with a 'sand pit' :mrgreen: I've seen a few on preloved but didn't know if any shops or breeders would have well cared for Beardies around a year old?

George

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:08 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Where are you located ? There are some fairly good reptile shops out there and different breeders depending where you live. Get googling lol

Danny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:29 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I live in Loughborough, but work in Leicester. Scales and Tails is just down the road from work.

George

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:45 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Hi, just be a bit cautious if looking on preloved or rehoming a rescue dragon. I definatley wouldn't want to discourage you from rescuing a beardie because some are kept in awful conditions and need a loving home. I'd rescue them all if I could. :cry:

I've had two rescued beardies and because they haven't necessarily been looked after properly by the previous owner, they can cost a lot in vet bills so just go into it prepared. My first bearded dragon cost me £400 in vet bills and my second only £50. Both beardies had health problems due to neglect from previous owners. I didn't mind paying it at the time but would definatley not be able to afford it now as i'm on maternity pay and getting married next year :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

We've been to see Dave at Scales and Tails in Leicester and will be getting the Viv set-up this weekend and hopefully picking our Beardie up the following weekend. He has a few year old Beardies that are in good condition and we fell for one male who was a right character so hopefully he'll be the one! :mrgreen:

George

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:30 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

same here i leave at 7am back in at 5pm as long as food in tank think should be ok