mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:37 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

An old family friend came over last night, and when he saw my Beardies..he told me he was selling his. A male & a female, in a 4ft viv for £100. From what I gathered the male is constantly mating with the female, as he was telling me he has to throw away eggs regularly. He also said he's never given them any calcium, D3 & vitamin supplements! That poor female, laying all those eggs..with no supplements to help her through it!
I wanted to take them off him, on the basis I'd split them up, make sure they'll healthy and probably sell them on..as I'm busy enough with 2! But I don't actually have £100 to spare, or any room left in my house for them!
I told him I'd think about it, and mentioned (as a hint) that I'd never breed from my female as it's such hard work for them and it's leaves them exhausted.
I'm so frustrated! I can't take them on, but I want to..but at the same time, if I did take them on, and I discovered more problems and one passed away or something I'd feel awful!

-2 tropical fish tanks.
+ dogs,cats & chickens! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Difficult decision, how about offering a lower price and maybe contact a local rescue centre and see if they can help with funding any vet bills or even your vet??
Chances are the female will need extra TLC!

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

That's a great idea, I'll get on the phone to my vet tomorrow! I'll ask him for a lower price too, and maybe explain to him why.

-2 tropical fish tanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

I felt the same when I got Spikey, she was kept with a male and constantly mated. She took a while to get back up to health with some vet visits. I had a spare vivarium though as we'd had to have Puffy put to sleep a few months previous so had the availablility.

Whatever you do, don't go on preloved, I wanted to rescue them all! Some beardies are being kept in awful conditions :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:15 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Oh Preloved breaks my heart! Not just with beardies either! Poor things.
I have a male and a female, in separate vivs, when I first got them..I wanted to eventually breed from them (that wasn't the reason I bought the female though.) but the more research I did, the less I want to do it! and now I love my girlie too much to even consider putting her near my big boy! Especially at the moment..he's very umm..keen at the moment, when I get her out the viv..I have to hide her from Charlies sight so he doesn't start glass dancing and headbobbing with his black beard! Anyway I'm off track...
I can't seem to get hold of the guy selling the two beardies, even though he's an old family friend, I don't actually know him very well myself so I'll see if he calls back or not. Bless, he thought his male (who is missing most of his tail aswell) was a cross with a different type of lizard alltogether, as it's half leatherback, he said. I tried to explain to him that leatherbacks are still bearded dragons. I don't think he means harm, just lack of information.

-2 tropical fish tanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having kept two beardies together for nearly six years, and thought it was successful because of only two matings (due the fact the female was dominant) you'd think I'd be for keeping two together.

But since Shrek died Fiona has become totally different. She's looking the best she ever has, and really happy. She's far more active too! And I thought we were doing well with them.

Just proved to me that one beardie to a viv is best - I thought she'd miss Shrek, but she seems pleased to have the viv to herself.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk