It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie!!!!!! help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. :oops:

I would like some beginner tips and advice if possible and have a few questions to ask that I would like to get answered please.

1. What can I do to pursuade my parnter that having a bearded dragon is ok, she's not happy about the live food been kept in the house, my thought was to buy the live food on the day of feeding the dragon, so nothing is left in containers in the house???

2. If I go away for a 7 day holiday, what are my options to leaving my dragon happy and sae on it's own??

3. How much would a decent set up cost/ and dragon prices? I've seen prices for adult ones at about £40??

Thanks

Chris :?

Post subject: Re: Newbie!!!!!! help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D
The best thing is to let your partner see some beardies and maybe even hold one, livefood is a difficult one. If your getting a baby then they need feeding 3x a day so you will need plenty of livefood in. An adult need a maintaince diet and will need feeding anything from 1x a week to 3x times a week (people find a pattern that works for them and their beardies). Crix can be noisy and smelly, locusts can be smelly as well if not cleaned out regulary. Roaches tend to be quiet and not smell but alot of people will not have them in the house.
Adults are probably fine for a day or 2 but anything younger needs to be checked every day and feeding livefood they all need fresh greens putting in . Its a good idea to have somebody pop in every day to make sure the bulbs are still working etc.
Set ups can be bought 2nd hand/complete with everything (tends to be expensive and have things in you don't need) and you can buy things separately looking for bargins. Be expected to pay anything between £100-£300 depending on what you want.
Buy a 4x2x2 viv straight off as its not worth buying anything smaller and then having to up grade a few months later.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Hi

Welcome to the forum :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

We keep our livefood in the understairs cupboard. However, we do have a very warm house and I do leave the door open during the day when we're out so the locusts get daylight too. I've never had an escapee (that I know of). One did jump out of the tub when I was feeding them once but locusts/hoppers are quite slow and just hop so they're easy to catch. I wouldn't have crickets anymore, they're a nightmare to catch and i've heard people get escpapee's. Some people however find locusts very expensive when compared to other live food.

My first beardie I would leave quite happily for fri-sun weekends away as she was very happy by herself. Fed her on friday with live food and she was fine. My current beardie i'd be very reluctant to even leave overnight by herself. She doesn't cope very well and gets very stressed. Both my beardies were adult rescue beardies and had very different personalities.

As with any pet, when you purchase them you should have already planned potential babysitting duties and have people to come and check on them/feed them when you are away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Welcome to the forum and it seems like all is covered :D