mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silkies why so negative
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
EGG
EGG

After asking about advice for my silkie, I wanted to know why people are so negative about them. They are beautiful, they are not a result of messing about with genetics. The first leatherback just appeared in a litter and silkies are a result from mating to leatherbacks.

As for their skin being damaged due to lack of scales, which nature gives them as protecting in the wild. These are captive breed beardies who live in vivariums. They don't need the protection like a wild beardie.

I can understand that some people don't like them, I don't have a problem with that. If someone doesn't like them, then that is their choice, I did a huge amount of research on Beardies, I perhaps should have read up more about silkies before purchasing one, but I just fell in love with his photos, I didn't realise there was so much controversy about them.

What was about to be a very exciting adventure has now made me feel that I should not be having a silkie as a first lizard and all the excitement has been taken away. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Hi Willow,

I'm sorry that I've made you feel unhappy over your adventure but you asked for advice and all I can ever do is provide the best advice I can based on my knowledge (or lack thereof) regarding your query and basically all my contact with breeders of this type of dragon indicate that they are not for a first timer. Having said that, if you make contact with those people I've provided and explain fully what you're dong then I'm sure you'll end up happy with your purchase. I will quite happily admit that I do not like these dragons however I have always tried to keep an open mind on them and when they first started appearing I even made contact with the guy in Italy who started them off and had him give a full run down on how they turned up in his breeding program. All this was on another forum which has since closed so I can't refer you across. They are a 'naturally' occurring morph I agree but as we never see them in the wild it isn't one that has good survival traits my main concern would be with UV, any predisposition to cancers and shedding.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 am 
EGG
EGG

Hi Rick

thank you for taking the time to reply. Not much response.

I have today spent most of my time researching the silkies, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much information on their care, its more about people not agreeing with them, which is not much help to the silkies or how to breed them.

I have mad lots of notes and I will hopefully get it right, I have a new vivarium for him and have bought a 5% uv light and have his basking light, 40 watt and also a 60 watt (will use the one I think its best for him)

What I would really have liked was more info about their skin and how to care for it, there is so many different advise its difficult to know what to go for, so Im still looking into what lotion to use, when to use it and how often. Will probably use Curelle if I can find it in the UK, or may be aloe vera, Id rather go for natural, lavender is very good for skin and so is tea tree oil, not sure if these are ok with beardies but they are all natural and I would rather use something natural so I have more research to do on these.

I will be bathing him 2/3 times a week and mist spraying twice daily as this seems to be what is best. I know to watch how his skin peels especially on his legs and tail. Fingers crossed this will all be ok but until someone produces a good care sheet on the silkies, I will have to go with what I think is best.

Its a shame that all the threads I have read on loads of forums all end up with people complaining about man made morphs, and how they don't like them and how they should not be bred.

I breed pedigree cats for many years and I hate all the new breeds that are being breed, the munchkins (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=munchk ... 38&bih=499) are something that should never have been allowed, cats like to climb these have very very short legs and this is totally wrong, the silkie is still a dragon and can still do what dragons do, his skin may not be as strong but until more is know about these beautiful beardies, is would be far better for people to keep their negative opinions to themselves,IMO this does not help anyone and certainly does not help the silkies.

All silkie owners, please post how you look after your silkie, good and bad things, we need proper care sheets for these beautiful beardies.

Sorry to rant but it really does annoy me when people complain about something they know nothing about. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its bad and if everyone is always shot down for asking about them, then people will stop asking.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I think that you'll notice the most vociferous complainers haven't even taken the time to do any research and are just mouthing off. I at least followed up on the breeders and entered into discussions as I knew that I'd run across them eventually. Do make contact with those people I've mentioned and remember that dragons tend to get RI's when exposed to an increased humidity level so be aware that signs like coughing and gasping with heavy/fast breathing need attention.
With most people being learners on this forum it's not really surprising that you got views but no commentary as I'm sure that most here have had no experience at all with these guys.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am 
EGG
EGG

Ive heard from Tom and hes been very helpful, just bathing and lotion every other day, otherwise the same for normal beardies. Thanks for the help Rick, all I need now is a name. Any suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi sorry had a rather busy day yesterday it sounds like Rick has put you in the right direction and you are doing all your homework which is great :) it's just starting of that's all it's really not to difficuilt and alot of people shan't have a input as all the lizards are mainly normals/hypo's it's all personally preferrance really silks/leatherbacks are alot rarer they cost more (should do if you no what your getting ) and alot of people judge them without haveing one which is silly I think we are the only 2 with this breed but keep on doing what your doing and you shall be fine :) Do you no If the whole clutch where silks or 50/50 ish? As for a name I'd stick to silky or silks :)

All the best
Danny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi Danny

thanks for your imput, I know there was one male leatherback and two silkies, not sure if there were more. Im not paying a fortune for her, £90 which I thought was very reasonable after seeing some in the 100's, Im very excited about getting her and have most things ready now, just need to sort out the lotion for her. I have E45 which I know can be used, the breeder doesn't lotion at all she just mists and baths, so need to speak to her a bit more about this when I collect her.

Do you know if beardies are ok with Tea tree oil and aloe vera, as Id like to keep the lotion as natural as possible. Ive asked quite a few people what they use and they are all different.

Im also visiting another breeder on Thursday as he is in the same area and has a 6 month old silkie of his own and hes been really helpful, I think I should be ok, Im not so worried now. I have a very good vet and there are some really good reptile vets within a reasonable distance.

Im really excited about collecting her on Thursday and can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi good to hear your excited and almost there, as regards to tee tree oil I'd
assume it would be ok as it's all naturel like you. That is a good price I have payed allmost double that at times :D all depends on the dragon! your pretty much there anyway so good luck for picking him/her up and reserch does go a long way as you have most likley found out :)

All the best
danny