Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Xmas....again!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hey guys,

After my earlier post about my daughter setting up the tank whilst I am away I have found what appears to be a really great local pet shop which has offered to set everything up for me over the next couple of weeks then deliver it on Xmas eve. My wife is very keen on this as she won't have to have any input!
The guy at the shop has been fantastic and has answered all my questions ( and the far more demanding missus) questions knowledgeably and very good naturedly considering I was in 3 days running and phoned as well. He also has only asked for a deposit even though I've told him I can pay in full and has said we can go in at any time to ask questions.
Love the thought of it all being set up by a professional and my daughter getting her dragon on Xmas day. Just wondered what everyone thought about it being set up and delivered?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Post subject: Re: Xmas....again!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just a couple of questions - what's in the setup (including substrate) and will there be someone "on call" if the temps don't settle properly when it's all plugged in at your place?
Setup is probably one of the fiddliest parts of getting started and a good temp. is pretty essential to settling in the baby quickly. I'm not trying to be awkward but even now it can take me a few days to get one running well.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

All sounds handy but u need to keep a eye on the temps aswell ,as they shall most likely change due to the shop and your house being different tempatures which can make a difference at times ,and as mentiond if it comes with sand or anything like that take it out untill it's older

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:36 pm 
EGG
EGG

Yeah it's a basic set up of vivarium, lamp, heat pad, food and water bowls, thermometer, one of those wee shelters made out of sticks and a branch for basking/ climbing. He Also gives a weeks supply of live food.

I asked about the heat pad as we've read some horror stories but he mounts them on the back of the tank so they can soak up the heat without worrying about them burning themselves.

Also asked about the sand as I thought I we were supposed to put kitchen towels/ absorbent pads down but all the beardies he sUpplies are about 6 months old so are supposed to be ok with the sand.

The guy is also available on the phone no probs over Xmas and we've got a nice location for the viv in a nice warm room.

Really hoping this is all good as I'm away tomorrow night so sorting anyhing else out will have to be done over the phone father tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gareth.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:39 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Given the mounting point for the heat pad plus age of the dragon it all sounds OK so go with it. Being available on the phone is also a plus but do make sure that someone can contact us on the forum as well "just in case".

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:19 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

It sounds like it's co
ding together niceley I'm sure all shall be fine, just keep a close eye And keep us updated :) all the best and have a beardie christmes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:00 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks guys. I'm so chuffed I've been able to get it sorted, just wish I could be here to see her wee face! Anyway thanks for all the advice and I'll keep you updated.

Hope you all have a great Xmas.