mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid and West Wales shops
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi all, new here - went to Dragon Reptile Experience (basically a shop & mini-zoo type thing) in Pembroke over the weekend and had never seen beardies before, however, I now think that I have a bit of an obsession with them!

Anyway, back to the point of my post: does anyone have any experience with this shop/zoo/whatever? The reason I ask is that the volunteer staff there, whilst all fairly young, seemed pretty knowledgeable, very friendly, and were happy to spend over an hour with us letting us hold various creatures, including dragons, tarrantulas, various snakes etc. So I started doing some research when I got home (in mid wales) and came across your website and forum, which is just a mine of great information. First thing I discover, they really shouldn't be keeping their little-uns on woodchip! Even our local pets at home don't do this as I found out yesterday when I walked in, wondering what they had, and whether they stocked live food...

I'm considering a dragon, doing lots and lots of research, and probably lots of convincing the other-half as well, and was thinking that the pembroke store would be a decent place to get one (until I found out about the woodchip of course), and now I'm thinking that the Pets at home may be better (saves a 2 hour drive back home with a scared beardie). But then, PaH had them on sand, with what looked like maybe a bowl of calcium, and locusts in there that were *way* too big.

Is there anywhere decent within mid-wales for beardies? Also, anyone know of a decent vet in the same area? Just trying to gather all the info I need to make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

i think their is alot of people out there with their own views on how to do things, may not always be the right way. I think the important thing is, the way you do things when you get your beardie home :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:53 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Is that the Pets At Home in Carmarthen? I'm from West Wales too! When I've been in there the beardies themselves look really healthy, alert, responsive.. I'd go for the 'medium' sized they sell there, I think the 'small' beardies are too small! They're a little pricey too- but I'd ignore most of the advice they give you! I've considered pulling off the sign that says 'they prefer to live in pairs and small groups' afew times!
I haven't been to the Reptile Experience though!..where's that?

-2 tropical fish tanks.
+ dogs,cats & chickens! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm 
EGG
EGG

No, this would be the PaH in Aberystwyth - I was quite surprised to find a reptile section (although it isn't much wider than 4 feet!). They at least don't have a sign suggesting you buy them in pairs or that they prefer to live in small groups. They seem to have only one size which look to me about the right age, although what do I know :-). Also a little pricey at 50 quid each.

Dragon reptiles is on the road between Pembroke Dock and tenby - in fact, it's the Carmarthen road iirc, go from Carmarthen towards Pembroke Dock, it's about 1.5 miles from Pembroke Dock itself, on the Carmarthen side. The "zoo" costs a fiver, but it was a good afternoon and money well spent I think. I believe they also have a shop in Cardiff at a garden centre, not sure where though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:56 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Do lots of research before you decide and get everything you need and your temps correct before you purchase one.

p.s don't listen to anything PAH say, they have a notoriously bad reputation at giving out wrong advice on all reptiles!