mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unsure what to buy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:59 pm 
EGG
EGG

Im looking into getting a Beardered Dragon, I have looked on several websites and gone to several petshops and all say different things what i need to start up . I know not to buy woodchip , and heat mats , can some one tell me exactly what i need to set up the Vivarium. Thanks :D

Post subject: Re: Unsure what to buy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:15 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

A viv (bigger the better) saves upgrading at a later date, just a standard household spotbulb normally a 100watt and fittings(depending on viv size) a habistat thermostat, a minimum of a UV10 stripbulb again size varying and fittings, as for feeding bowls etc i just use standard tupperware type bowls (saves spending a small fortune on dishes etc,) if your buying your beardy young the best substrate for first 4-6 months is kitchen roll etc (until your beardy can hunt its food properly and saves risking its life with gut impaction), a basking rock/s of some sort and something to climb on if needs be to get within 6-12 inches of UV bulb, thats pretty much it as far as a standard setup goes, just remember certain important points like setting the viv up and achieveing correct temps etc before purchasing your beardy as he/she will be stressed enough for a while whilst settling in, ideally no younger than 8 weeks old so it has enough fat stores to cover the settling in period and please no heat meats or "SUPER" calci sand! ;) any other questions shout up, your in the best place for advice ;) ... remember petstores are money making machines as any other so would/will try to sell you everything in stock :)

1 lil Princess of Staffordshire .. Courtney-Lei (Daughter)
And Lil Old Me lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:24 pm 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for that , The whole set up in one petstore with a 4 ft viv was £320 including the dragon he is £50 to buy on his own , they did mention a heat mat but i know now not to get one. maybe i shall keep looking around and see what else i can find .

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:38 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

That looks a little expensive. Quite often shopping around and buying it in different places can reduce the cost. Ideally a 4x2x2 viv is the base line, then the UV supply, heat is best provided by a ceramic Edison Screw fitting with a standard household spotlight - 60 or 100 watt run through a dimming thermostat with both the light and UV controlled by a timer switch. General fixtures and fittings as per Degy1's post but personally I find that small terra cotta flowerpot saucers are better than plastic. Rocks can be got from garden suppliers and branches out of the woods - these need to be cleaned and baked before use.

Hope this helps

Rick