mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Congratulations Michael!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael passed his driving test today! We went out looking for cars and he's bought himself a V reg Ford Fiesta. He's now somewhere driving round the roads of Essex and I'm a worried Mum.

Don't know where the time has gone - he was 12 when he started this website!!

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Congratulations Michael :mrgreen:
Trish - I'm already feeling nervous about Sophie driving and its another few months yet :shock:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the best thing I did was to take Michael practice driving - you can insure almost any car for £90 a month so they can practice. Although it scared the hell out of me to begin with, as he got better I found I got very confident with his driving. I'd rather he was driving (as I know he's quite a good little driver) than his friends drive him as I don't know how good they are!

The other thing he did which really helped him was have off road lessons before he was 17. That certainly helped him pass his test only 3 months after his birthday!

Included a pic of him and his new car!

Attachments:
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG [ 271.28 KiB | Viewed 4285 times ]

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:14 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Nice car, Sophie is planning on us (me and her but mainly me!) buying a small car to share!
The insurance is what scares us!!!

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So it should! But you're lucky she's a girl (well, until Dec 12 that is! :shock: ) £2,400 - and that's with him having to have a smart box fitted. This measures how he accelerates or corners, and whether he keeps in the speed limits. he's also not allowed to drive much after 11pm. If he does well his insurance goes down (and I've told him he can keep the money), if not the insurance will go up and he'll have to pay!

Getting a car for you both to share would be a good idea as the insurance could be in your name and that would be cheaper, but I wanted Michael to have his own so he could build up no claims bonus. That was his very expensive Christmas present!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Yes I've heard about the smart boxes, sounds like a good idea!
Did you tie a ribbon round the car :wink:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:38 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Oooohh congratulations! I remember passing my test like it was yesterday. 12 years ago now :oops:

I sometimes wish my other half had learnt how to drive when he was younger. He took lessons but at the time he lived off a main bus route to work and didn't need a car or could afford one so never passed his test. Now he's built a small phobia about it and doesn't want to learn again.

It's fine most of the time but now we've moved to a village, it's 20 minutes drive away from the city and it's 30 minute drive to his work. If he does overtime and can't get a lift home it takes him 2 hours to get home. He has to get a bus into the city, then a train to our neighbouring village, then a 30 minute walk to our house. He's not bothered at all about doing it. I'm glad it's not me. I drive everywhere. I need my car to get anywhere. I commute an hour to work too. I'd be completely lost without my car.

We haven't quite figured out how i'm going to get to the hospital when I go into labour yet :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kathryn - no ribbon, he bought it himself. We went straight out looking for cars after he passed his test and he was lucky to get what seems to be a good little car.

Nidz - Michael's been itching to get a car since he turned a teenager. We live 3 miles away from the nearest bus stop, and so he's had to rely on us to get to friends or to go to his part time job. He's also had to go in normal times to college when he's only needed to be there half day. So it's a necessity for him as for you.

Will you be able to call an ambulance when you go into labour? Can't see you being able to drive yourself! :shock: