mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New friend
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Got spike from you last year,decided to make a twin tank and then get a female baby and bring that up till its the same size ,and then introduce them bit by bit do u think they would get along and mate

Post subject: Re: New friend
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They will definitely mate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having two vivs and keeping them separately means that how often will be down to you. I've had no trouble keeping Shrek and Fi together - they only mated the once, but that could be because they have always lived together.

Chances are if you put an adult male and female together the male might constantly be trying to mate with the female and stress her out. Constant mating and breeding will ruin her health, and your bank balance! Advise you to read the sticky on the breeding forum to make sure you know what you are getting into before you decide for certain.

Not sure what you mean by a 'twin tank'. If you get a younger female you won't be able to put her with the male until she is fully grown - won't stop him from trying his luck! Beardies can intimidate each other without being in the same viv, so a young female may get stressed if she can see an older male in another viv.

Would love to see a pic of Spike - has he got a nice colour now?

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:19 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Well i made the tank that spike is in so shall be getting some more wood after work to make another so they should get along and i can seperate them at any point needed but as you say i shall get her to size first, he takes after his dad nice and yellow so would like to get a red sandfire female and c the results if any , ive heard all different opinions of how long they live i.e five to eight years or up to fiftee do u no any different ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beardies should live for 10 years plus. As we know more about how to keep them they are starting to live longer in captivity so who knows?

If you can post a pic of Spike that would be great! Lovely to hear he takes after his Dad - I thought he would with 3 yellow grandparents! :lol:

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:21 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Currentley makeing a new tank for a female baby, its 4ft by2ft by 2ft wat would be better once shes fully grown ad spike to her tank or her to spikes tank which is 4-2-2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a bit of time away depending on how big she is when you get her. Whichever way round you do it, Spike will only have one thing on his mind.

Can you make your viv any bigger? Shrek and Fi's viv is 5 ft long, and that's enough room for them to get away from each other if they want to. Often Fi is down one end, and Shrek up the other.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Yes im planning on building four all together,the current one will have a passageway to a second level

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:58 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I have cut dowm spikes food az said,but just seems to n stressy ive left him for three days although he hides away durwing the day still awake but grey in coulour bit worried do you think i should start to lower temps because he is not himself at all brumation?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:15 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Just got back from work remobed spikes cave this morning to get him out , and he is awake but ultra grey well his beard isnt just the rest of him any ideas ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is he about about to shed? Shrek's beard is completely grey at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Spikes weight is 500g weighed him tonight and just over 18 inches long

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's a big boy like his dad then! :lol:

Is he starting to shed yet? Grey all over really sounds like he's getting ready for that to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Yes he does but cutting down on feed now,no hes not sheding i turned temps down and left him for 3 days , and got him out yesterday and waz hypo for a couple of hours so think he just needed a rest ,waZ asleep when i left for work this morning so will just let him chill out for a few more days and then raise temp again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:20 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Do u think that is the best thing to da as hes always hideing and going in to his cave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd remove the cave so he gets exposure to UVB. He could be trying to brumate, but the grey colour concerns me if he's not shedding. I'll try and get Rick to answer this thread.

If you are concerned it might be a good idea to take him to a vet - if there is something wrong better to catch it sooner than later.