mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I'm having this real pain with the roaches. If I put crickets and locusts in they don't really hide, or if they do they'll come out again. But I cleaned the viv the other day and in between the basking ledges were 3 roaches, and i hadn't even put any in for ages, so they've been there a fair time. I was noticing roach poo in the viv some mornings and was really confused because i didn't know there were any in there, so they're obviously coming out at night to look for food.

But the problem is, i am totally unable to tell if any have been eaten by the dragon or not.

Do any of you guys have this problem and know of a way around it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Everytime i fed the roaches they would run and hide,then id clean the viv and have heart attack when i moved the rock or something because id find them all!

What i did in the end is,because i had my babies kept seperate from the adults i would take the box to the side of the viv and Lizzy would always jump straight in and eat, Spike wouldnt so i just fed her one by one.Problem solved :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

SpikeandLizzy wrote:Everytime i fed the roaches they would run and hide,then id clean the viv and have heart attack when i moved the rock or something because id find them all!

What i did in the end is,because i had my babies kept seperate from the adults i would take the box to the side of the viv and Lizzy would always jump straight in and eat, Spike wouldnt so i just fed her one by one.Problem solved :D

Well Didge doesn't eat anything from my hand except worms, and she isn't really eating out of tubs. It seems that if i put locusts in they'll be gone after a few days, but that's it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:36 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I used a metal cat bowl for my roaches. Tia learnt that when the bowl went in food was in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Daniel.. wrote:I used a metal cat bowl for my roaches. Tia learnt that when the bowl went in food was in it.

Oh Didge knows. She just isn't eating much these days, so they get left.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

I use the tub method too. Just put a few in one of the tubs you get when you buy live food, and lets them at it. Or, for more fun watching the hunt, turn them over on there back, takes them ages to right themselves on my play-sand. Maybe quicker on harder serface :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

TheGuvnor wrote: for more fun watching the hunt, turn them over on there back, takes them ages to right themselves on my play-sand. Maybe quicker on harder serface :)

Also known as Torture, you mean man ! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

TheGuvnor wrote:I use the tub method too. Just put a few in one of the tubs you get when you buy live food, and lets them at it. Or, for more fun watching the hunt, turn them over on there back, takes them ages to right themselves on my play-sand. Maybe quicker on harder serface :)

Haha, yeah i do use those tubs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

SpikeandLizzy wrote:
TheGuvnor wrote: for more fun watching the hunt, turn them over on there back, takes them ages to right themselves on my play-sand. Maybe quicker on harder serface :)

Also known as Torture, you mean man ! :evil:

I agree that's cruel :( I feed mine up and treat them well, then let Therru catch them ) I have to keep thinking its the food chain , and even using the tub its quickly over :(

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Not cruel really. If I throw some In the Viv and they land on their backs, I wont right them, I leave them to it, and let Bane do his thing. I mean jeeez, they eat better than me 8) . I do care for them, as I do all live feeders. I do prefer Bane to chase them. But I've found that unless I use the tub method, they just bury in the sand as soon as they touch it. Is a pain. The odd one will make a run for it. But unless bane is having a proper lazy day, they are no match for him 8) .

Crickets on the other hand. They have a sinister look about them. Think they maybe plotting something against us all :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:14 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I agree with you about crickets they are sinister and bite Dragons when they are asleep :evil:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish