mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

I've just collected the last few things I needed to start my own dubia colony. Before I went and bought the roaches I thought i'd see if anyone could advise me on the number of/ size of the roaches I should get and how long I should let the colony establish itself. also, if you have any tips etc they would be greatly appreciated :) im only looking to feed the one beardie (Tolkien) but he's still very young and just eats sooo much :roll: so that's something im going to have to take into consideration.

Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Daniels the guy you need :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:33 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Iam not Daniel :evil: but i have had my own colony for about a year now .It is very simple.

Basically you need at very least double female to male ratio 5 males 10 females, but i like to have mine around 15 females to 5 males.If thier are to many males and not enough females the males will fight to the death so it is just a waste.Depending on how big you want your colony is how many you have.I had 118 females to 25 males,but iam feeding 2 dragons and this produced alot of babies , to many infact.

If you are going to get just adults then it will take a couple of months to establish as you will have to wait for the babies to grow into a good size for your beardie.

Feed them wetabix mixed with cat/dog biscuits ,make sure this is always avaliable and add some fruit/veg on the side but keep seperate from the weetabix mix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

This is a good starter colocny at a good price,but as i stated above first thing to do is feed your dragon 10 of the males.otherwise its a waste of good roaches as they will kill eachother.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dubia-Cockroach-starter-colony-Livefood-Free-Delivery-/251285427107?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3a81c753a3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:35 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

SpikeandLizzy wrote:This is a good starter colocny at a good price,but as i stated above first thing to do is feed your dragon 10 of the males.otherwise its a waste of good roaches as they will kill eachother.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dubia-Cockroach-starter-colony-Livefood-Free-Delivery-/251285427107?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3a81c753a3

So sorry Spike and Lizzie :oops: You do know a lot and are very knowledgable on a lot of things ; just wish my hubby would let me breed them I would have 4 people I know would buy them off me and :roll: its worth trading my hubby in as he is even scared to hold Therru and to look at him he is 18st and; and tackles most stuff. :mrgreen:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

cheers guys :) don't know why, but im quite looking forward to getting this colony going :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Catmishka33 wrote:
SpikeandLizzy wrote:This is a good starter colocny at a good price,but as i stated above first thing to do is feed your dragon 10 of the males.otherwise its a waste of good roaches as they will kill eachother.

So sorry Spike and Lizzie :oops: You do know a lot and are very knowledgable on a lot of things ; just wish my hubby would let me breed them I would have 4 people I know would buy them off me and :roll: its worth trading my hubby in as he is even scared to hold Therru and to look at him he is 18st and; and tackles most stuff. :mrgreen:

Lol your forgiven :D

It is so easy to breed dubias,but cleaning is a pain in the backside, so look forward to that.

I have actually got rid of my colocny now as my girls didnt eat them any more.All they will eat now is worms :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:00 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hi RicheyManic,

Sorry I have just seen your PM from a few days ago but have had a few personal things that needed sorting this past week so haven't been on.

SpikeandLizzy is spot on with everything said. When I had my colony I had around 200 females and around 75 males. I was feeding 1 Beardie and 5 Leopard Geckos with loads to spare to sell and make a little money on :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

only now my order for the females arrived so I've sorted and counted them out, they also came with a bunch of nymphs so that should help it along. so yeah, see how it goes :)