mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hi,
my 8 month old female Lola stopped eating and pooping about a month ago.. she had me compleatly convinced she was gravid as she was showing al the signs but after 3 weeks and some advice from here i took her to the vets he examined her and as assured me she was not egg bound.. and that she was healthy as from what he could see.. he gave her a muti vitamin shot and told me if she had not started to eat in a couple of days i could start syringe feeding her... i looked on youtube as to how to open her mouth and i tried today i blended some spring greens and some carrot and added come calci dust .. this is where i need some help..

1- how much do i feed her?
2- what should i give her?
3- when i fed her she was making a bit of a squeeking noise is this normal?

i have all the right temps and set up as i have had loads of help from the forum to get it bang on.. she was been quite lazy over the winter sitting in her hide at the cool end and obviously since she stopped eating she hasnt been pooping... anyway any help on syringe feeding would be greatly appreciated

thanks

sophie and lola

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

I used to do that with Therru :) I would wrap him in a towel and then put syringe to the side of his mouth and it would open (you have to be very patient) I just chopped assorted greens added a pinch of calcium and blitzted it in a mini one I have then put it in an ice cube tray froze it then I would defrost 1 or 2 cubes and just give as much as I could get in him :lol: He has had me worried since having a mini brumation ; he has not eaten , he went from 520g (vet weighed him) and lost over 80g. He has been wormed and is otherwise active and healthy ( I kept thinking it was our bad weather and kept thinking he would buck up when it got warmer) . These last few days he has just started eating hoppers about every 3rd day and nibbles at greens . these 3 days it has been quite hot and I have had him out in the sun for about 20mins at a time and I think that has done him good :lol: I think they just love to worry us (I think he hasn't eaten for at least 3 months ( next winter I am brumating him for the full 3 months and hopefully he may wake up a Dragon with a good appetite). hope this puts your mind at rest with your Dragon as your not alone. Therru is 17mths at the end of the month ; had him since 5mths.

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara
1 Aquarium of Tropical fish

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Catmishka33 wrote:I used to do that with Therru :) I would wrap him in a towel and then put syringe to the side of his mouth and it would open (you have to be very patient) I just chopped assorted greens added a pinch of calcium and blitzted it in a mini one I have then put it in an ice cube tray froze it then I would defrost 1 or 2 cubes and just give as much as I could get in him :lol: He has had me worried since having a mini brumation ; he has not eaten , he went from 520g (vet weighed him) and lost over 80g. He has been wormed and is otherwise active and healthy ( I kept thinking it was our bad weather and kept thinking he would buck up when it got warmer) . These last few days he has just started eating hoppers about every 3rd day and nibbles at greens . these 3 days it has been quite hot and I have had him out in the sun for about 20mins at a time and I think that has done him good :lol: I think they just love to worry us (I think he hasn't eaten for at least 3 months ( next winter I am brumating him for the full 3 months and hopefully he may wake up a Dragon with a good appetite). hope this puts your mind at rest with your Dragon as your not alone. Therru is 17mths at the end of the month ; had him since 5mths.

OMG u have put my mind at rest a little thaks so much for taking the time to comment... Lola is my first and i tell u she will b the death of me.. lol im gna have my nurves bad if she carries on... i had my first try today i blended some spring greens and carrot and added a little water to make it better for the syringe then i added a little cali powder.. does this sound ok?
also did urs make a bit of a squeeky sound when it was going in her/him? i noticed this with lola

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:40 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They do protest a little over these things. If someone can help you, you can also get hold of a cricket and pop that into their mouth, once it's in they will chew and swallow. This way you get some protein down them as well. As for quantity I'd phone the vet and check how many mls he'd suggest.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Rick wrote:They do protest a little over these things. If someone can help you, you can also get hold of a cricket and pop that into their mouth, once it's in they will chew and swallow. This way you get some protein down them as well. As for quantity I'd phone the vet and check how many mls he'd suggest.

Rick

i have decided to try vegetable madly baby food instead of syringe feeding she seens to be licking it off and today she had a poo!! that surly is a good sign do u think?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Rick wrote:They do protest a little over these things. If someone can help you, you can also get hold of a cricket and pop that into their mouth, once it's in they will chew and swallow. This way you get some protein down them as well. As for quantity I'd phone the vet and check how many mls he'd suggest.

Rick

i have decided to try vegetable medly baby food instead of syringe feeding she seens to be licking it off and today she had a poo!! that surly is a good sign do u think?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Your doing well :lol: but like Rick said try and sneak the live food in :lol:

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Catmishka33 wrote:Your doing well :lol: but like Rick said try and sneak the live food in :lol:

thank u i hope i am doing the best i can 4 her i would hate to lose her... she seems better after the poop she had (on my mums best pillow on out sofa lol) i just had to let her carry on as i knew if i moved her she would have stopped and she hasnt pooped in a month lol never mind better out than in... is veg medley baby food ok tho i will try and get bugs in her.. what if i blend then and mix with the baby food.. would that work?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:58 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

If you're using a syringe the bugs wont go through the syringe. You may find that she now regains her appetite as there's some room in her gut for more food! This is what my vet recommends to boost a sick dragon http://www.hillspet.com.au/en-au/produc ... anned.html (it is available in the UK) dilute it slightly so that it forms a slurry and freeze it in small ice cube blocks. This way you only thaw as much as you need (it goes off in about 3 days if not frozen) between that and some time in the sun and she should perk up soon.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hi every1.. im sooo happy.. i didnt put another beardie in with lola after what every1 said and i have been working hard to get her back to the bubbly self she was b4 this all started.. and im pleased to announce she has finally started to EAT!!! hurrayyyyyyy i took out her hid so she couldnt sleep all day and fingers crossed all is going well.. she has eat for the last 3days in a row she even had a locust today all by herself!! her favorite is the morfed meal worm (what they turn into b4 bugs) and she has has some apple aswell.. she loves a little bit of apple.... i have been dripping water on her nose and getting her out for a couple of hours a day and when the sun is nice and hot she has a run around on the garden ... she really seems to be on the up and up.. im so pleased.. i feel terrible for taking out her hide but i now have to be cruel to be kind :evil: .... u cant imagin how happy i am she is getting better.. thanks for all ya advice x :blob8:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

hi every1.. im sooo happy.. i didnt put another beardie in with lola after what every1 said and i have been working hard to get her back to the bubbly self she was b4 this all started.. and im pleased to announce she has finally started to EAT!!! hurrayyyyyyy i took out her hid so she couldnt sleep all day and fingers crossed all is going well.. she has eat for the last 3days in a row she even had a locust today all by herself!! her favorite is the morfed meal worm (what they turn into b4 bugs) and she has has some apple aswell.. she loves a little bit of apple.... i have been dripping water on her nose and getting her out for a couple of hours a day and when the sun is nice and hot she has a run around on the garden ... she really seems to be on the up and up.. im so pleased.. i feel terrible for taking out her hide but i now have to be cruel to be kind :evil: .... u cant imagin how happy i am she is getting better.. thanks for all ya advice x :blob8:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:27 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

So happy for you but cannot view your pictures :)

1 GSD Mishka
1 Cat Tara