Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not eating greens at all
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

It's driving me mad :(

He's never been a fan of greens but when I first got him he would occasionally grab a few leaves out the bowl. But he's not eaten greens voluntarily for a good year. He will not touch it. I've tried gut loading insects with veg and leaves etc but I'm not even sure he's getting it that way. Certainly not enough. It's such a waste, buying things in and he won't eat it. I try and use things that I can eat too so it's not so wasteful.

He has a poor appetite anyway. Perhaps I should be thankful that he's not one of those beardies who eat their owner out of house and home. But I want him to get variety, not just morios and dubias. And he's been wormed before (not recently) and last time he was parasite free.

I even tried to put some watercress in his mouth tonight, between his lips to try and encourage him to eat it but he just wouldn't play ball. And of course that stresses him out so I stop doing it. It's SO frustrating. And I feel like a bad owner for stressing him out and getting annoyed at him because he's not eating it. Ugh.

In the past I've tried giving him babyfood veg with a syringe but I don't like doing that. Force feeding him. I'm not sure what else I can do :( I see photos and videos of beardies munching greens and I think why does mine not do that?!

Is it bad if they don't eat greens?

eta: when he *was* eating it voluntarily (since he's been in my care) he would only eat leafy greens - things like spring greens, basil, mint leaves and rocket. He's never touched veg or fruit, just leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Just leaves are OK - have you tried dandelion flowers? Some dragons just won't eat veg and although it's not the best as long as you gut load their live food they'll be OK.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Dont worry too much mine doesnt eat greens either I buy a bag of kale every fortnight and throw most of it away.

As Rick says try dandelion flowers and leaves this is the only thing Spike actually will eat voluntarily. He likes clover flowers too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm 
EGG
EGG

I get dandelions growing in my garden, clover too but I always worry they'll end up covered in pesticides or something. I might try and grow my own. I bought some basil seeds and nasturtium seeds recently so I'm going to attempt to grow them (fingers crossed). I might try him on spring greens again too, he used to eat that every now and then and it kept for a while in the fridge.

I'm ashamed at how angry I was at him last night. I guess I just get really frustrated when he won't eat, and I hate wasting food. :( But he's my wee boy, and I love him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

They'll do that to you. Our lot have been eating veg for months happily and then a couple of weeks back went right off all veg! It's just a matter of hanging in and trying small amounts of different things.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Our beardie only picks at his food and then he only tends to eat a couple of cubes of butternut squash :roll:
He does like dandelion flowers though!
Have you tried to grate butternut squash, it can look like worms :shock:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11