mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

all in all i forgot how old my bearded dragon is i think his about a year and a half to 2 years old, last time i fed him crikets was about 2 weeks ago need to buy more the problem is they smell really bad so im probably switching to dubia cockroaches or waxworms the problem is he doesent want to eat anything except for life food like bees crikets and dandelions too he loves those but he only eats the yellow flower tho. the problem is he wont eat carots or apple i cut the carrots and the apple up into small pieces mix it together and put it in his plte but he wont even touch it and the only time when he eats strawberries is when i cut them into small pieces and hold them infront of his face. Also he doesent drink water for some reason so i have to use a straw to put the water in his mouth i gause he doesent see the water or something i get him a deep platete pour alot of water into it and he still dosent drink it even when i stick his face into the water then he just runs away or is to lazy to take it out and just lays there what can i do to make him eat or drink.???? need help and my parents dont wana take him to the vet but i dont think theres anything wrong with him and could it be the tempeture because i need to buy him a new lamp because the other one broke like 3 weeks ago and my mom bought the wrong 1 and his tempeture in his basking area is like 75 only. i kno its sopose to be from 90 to 110 but i need to go buy a new light bulb.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

First of all you need to replace the bulb as soon as possible. If he can't bask in a high enough heat his appetite will disappear and he won't be able to digest any food he does eat without being able to bask.

Your beardie needs livefood twice a week at his age (providing he is not underweight?). The crickets need cleaning out at least weekly and any dead crickets/rotting food cleaned out daily.If you keep them clean they will not smell. Your beardie needs livefood and you need to buy him some, you cannot feed waxworms as a staple food as they are too fatty. Don't let him eat bees - the sting could be fatal!

As for greens/veg, have a look at this list viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110 this will give you some more ideas of what to feed him.

You will probably never see your beardie drink water (and certainly don't stick his face in the water). Our beardie is 2 and I have never, ever seen him drink water from his bowl.

You need to get him a new basking bulb as a priority and some crickets to feed him otherwise you soon won't have a choice about seeing a vet as he will be so ill you will have to.

1 beardie - Oz born @ 5th March 2008
Son / daughter - Joshua & Jessica
1 dog - Blackie
Guinea pig Jasper, Rabbit Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Hi I have moved your post to the feeding section.
If you are concerned about your beardie not getting water then drop a bit at a time onto his nose and if he wants it he will lick it off. Do not try and force anything into his mouth as you may cause damage to the scales.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

o okay thx i dont really like use my strenght to pry open his mouth i just pet him on the side of it and he opens it really wide and keeps it like that or i jently press on the side of his mouth and he opens it a little and then i use the straw to put water on the tip of his nose which streams down into his mouth. Also my mom said the the light bulb which she bought him is the right one and that i need to close the top of his aqarium with summething to build the heat up inside other wise it wont go up to 90-110 degress but i tell her its the light bulb i mean it looks by shape like the ones that you buy for the lizards but all it brings the tempeture up to is 75. So i will force my mom or dad to take me to petco so i can buy the right one. Also do u think he or she might be lonly in the tank by them selves or should i buy him another bearded dragon i mean i take him out atleast once a day to play with himn out side but all he does is climb up on me lean against me and sleep.
One more thing around my house theres alot of these caterpillars coming up everywehre can i feed them to him heres the name of them Tent caterpillar i did some research and it turns out they turn into moths and i read somewhere that youcan feed moths to beardeddragons so can i feed tha caterpillar to him

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Is your bulb connected to a thermostat?
Bearded dragons are solitary creatures in the wild coming together to mate. 2 males together will most likely fight, 2 females may get on but you may also have one who bullies the other. If you have a male and female you could end up with eggs and then 40+ babies!!
If you are struggling to get the conditions right for one then its not worth the risk getting another one.

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:48 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

You can get a spotlight bulb from any supermarket you dont need to go to a pet shop it will be cheaper as well - you can get 2 r80 bulbs for about one pound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:15 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Well there are two problems here.
Firstly feeding - you MUST feed him live food at least twice a week! Just because you don't like the smell from crix is no excuse for not feeding him!!!
Secondly - if you're keeping him in an open top aquarium then of course you can't get the heat gradient right. There's an example of how I use aquariums here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1019#p10164 including a top cover. Once you've got this right and increased the temps then you should find he'll start eating again.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

o okay i see so ill close of the top of the aquarium and ill change the aqurium too becuause the one he is it if he touches hs nose to one side of the tank then his tail will proobably almost touch the other side but i have to get rid of my moms fish in my room somehow. Also can he eat those caterpillras that i posted a picture of.

here are some pictures of the tank that his in and the tank that i am going to try to put him in

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:47 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

That tank is way to small it MUST be at least 4ft x 2ft x 2ft for him to have any sort of life!! As to the moths, given that your fireflys can kill a dragon in a matter of hours I wouldn't want to try experimenting with any native insects.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Looking at the tank, do you have a uv strip light for him?

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:50 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

Please take him out of the small tank as soon as possible....and please do not get another beardie as you will end up with problems (it is rare for beardies to get along and male and female means lots of babies).

You do need the basking bulb and UV inside the viv as priority.

1 dog - Blackie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:35 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

okay i see i probably wont feed him the caterpillars ill talk to a couple of people like a vet and and like a bearded dragon expert over the internet about the caterpillars and if they say not to feed him then i wont because alot of people told me not to let him eat bees . And at first i got scared when he ate a couple when i wasent lokking but the i saw that nothing happened so i let him eat bees during the spring and summer he usually eats about like 10-15 of them a day and then he doesent want to eat anymore and its not like he doesent know what he is eating because theres alot of like cactuse floweres growing there where he eats the bees and he eats those too but he goes for the bees more. also i dont have a uv strip light
for him jsut change the light bulb to a red light bulb before i go to sleep and it gives more heat of than the white one so i think its okay for him because in the store they said you use those insted of the uv strip light if you dont have the lamp for the uv strip light

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beardies should have a good drop in temparature at night to help them sleep - unless where you live is very cold (below 60F) then I wouldn't bother with night time heat at all. If he doesn't get cooler then he won't get a good sleep, which might mean he won't eat as he won't be feeling up to it.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:36 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

The uv light and basking light do different jobs. Basking light provides the heat. UV light imitates the light he would get from the sun...which he would have in the desert. He needs both to provide the right environment for him to live in .

Hope u manage to get it sorted it.

Lindy..x

1CAT - HAMISH
1 TROPICAL AQUARIUM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

UV is essential for him, he MUST have UV.

What are the basking temps? He needs (in the viv) a cool side and a warm side (where he basks) - in a viv that small he won't have a 'cool side' to move to to regulate his own temperature so it's really important to get him in a bigger viv with a proper basking lamp and a UV light.

1 dog - Blackie