mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:31 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Any advice on how to get uneaten crix back in the box? I'm having trouble with escapees as well as spending ages trying to chase them round the viv. When I'm cleaning out, I've noticed a fair number that have been hiding under paper towel or behind the rocks. Tried to scoop them up using an empty tub but they just jumped ship and end up behind my couch! :roll:

Would it be really wrong just to hoover them up??? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:08 pm 
FAMILY LIFE
FAMILY LIFE

How about a spider catcher? We have this one http://www.lakeland.co.uk/spider-catche ... duct/20455 we don't actually use it on livefood but you it would be ideally. It really works as well, we have managed to 'hoovver' up big house spiders :shock:

Bearded Dragon:
Felix born 5/11/08
Bob born 25/12/07 Died 17/1/09 RIP
Hubby and 2 children: Ian, Sophie and Emily
Cats: Suzie and Sheba
Corn snake: Maxxie born 6/8/11

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 am 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

Hoover them... :lol: :lol:

Lindy..x

1CAT - HAMISH
1 TROPICAL AQUARIUM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:42 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Magda's eyes light up when she sees the black tubes as its cricket time :lol:
I found some of the smaller insects found their way out of the original container some how (possibly via the clip points for the flaps for when you take the tubes out. So I have used a big plastic box (can just be seen in the piccie of the viv else where on the site) and lay the tubes in the bottom of the box and they go in all the same so I just take a tube out, dust the crickets or whatever (crickets at the moment) then out into the viv. Andrea (my fiancee) can't face handling the insects in any way but loves seeing Magda eating them :lol:

Growler the Boom Trike.
Tabitha the kitten.RIP 22nd November 2010 only 7 months old.
Zak and Eli the Chinchillas.
20+ tropical fish.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 pm 
EGG
EGG

Dont mean to sound silly but whats the "black tube" thing all about, wanna make it easier for jd to catch her food.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:36 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

The insects tend to hide in dark places if they feel threatened such as your hand coming down to grab them.
So the tubes not only act as a hiding place but because the insects gather in them they allow you to get a good number of insects out in one go.
Update on Andrea and the hoppers. She will now pick them out to give to Magda with a set of plastic tweezers so progress in deed :D

Growler the Boom Trike.
Tabitha the kitten.RIP 22nd November 2010 only 7 months old.
Zak and Eli the Chinchillas.
20+ tropical fish.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 am 
EGG
EGG

hi i have two babies 7 weeks old at the moment we are putting 30 crickets in twice a day is this about the right amount they soon wizz round eating them ?
also they are not on any fruit or veg yet as the pet shop says they only need the crickets to survive for now is this correct ?
i have researched and researched but everyy where seems to say omething different and very conflicting info

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

First rule of reptile keeping - never listen to pet shops - the chances of them knowing what they're talkng about approach infinity!
Start your babies on veg. now, place a small dish of chopped veg in the viv first thing in the morning and don't provide live food 'til 10.00 or so. That way you'll have a much better chance of them eating veg throughout their life, rather than trying a prolonged and often unsuccessful fight at a later date. They should be eating around 75% live/25% veg as babies changing to 75/80% veg and balance live as adults.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 am 
EGG
EGG

thank you
ive researched everywhere and asked the same question and this is the only place where i have finally be answered :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

if you pick up cricket's do they bite? i have never had any dealings with them before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:34 pm 
FIRST CAR
FIRST CAR

:D No they dont tend to bite, there are ways of feeding with no touching involved

Danny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:09 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

Add Calcium or Vitamin powder directly to the bag if they are due to be dusted today........so you do not need to dust every day,guessing its cheaper to buy crickets in bulk over small boxes roughly how many should i be feeding a 8 month old a day and how many times a day

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am 
FIRST JOB
FIRST JOB

Scootergirl wrote:
Would it be really wrong just to hoover them up??? :twisted:

Never be afraid to hoover , i get everything with mine, spiders , flies, crickets,anything bug like that dares to come into my house :twisted:

But the problem i then have is if i get a big spider iam then scared of my hoover for the rest of the day convinced it is going to crawel back out, so i keep the hoover on for abit longer just to make sure and get the hubby to change the bag :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Depends on size but at say 12"/30cm and weighing around 160+gm I'd probably feed twice a day medium size probably around 8 crix each sitting. It's also a good idea to weigh the dragon weekly to see that he's putting on weight steadily. If he is you're feeding properly.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

place i bought my dragon from as been feeding him locusts now he wont try crickets now,how many of these things do i give my dragon rick you have seen pic on my facebook so you might have rough idea as like you said looks tubby he has been eating his leafs today

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next