mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: carnivore care
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 pm 
EGG
EGG

How long can a dragon be on this and remain healthy?

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

Post subject: Re: carnivore care
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:15 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

A healthy dragon shouldn't be on this to start with however if it's being used to boost a sick dragon I'd be trying to get it off after a couple of weeks depending on your vet's advice. I'm assuming you have a sick dragon and have been advised to try this product to improve its health.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:44 pm 
EGG
EGG

I have a dragon that absolutely refuses to eat. It started beginning of Dec and continues til this day. She sometimes picks at her salad. She's been to the vet, said to be healthy, dosed panacur for minor worms. We are assuming it's brumation, but she has been up more lately, running around and basking. She just refuses all live feeders and salad for that matter. I just started carnivore care feeding through a syringe. I just wondered if she could be fed this way for the long term if she continues to refuse to eat on her own. I have no problems doing this for her if it is okay to do so. Her temps are 108 at basking spot and 77 on the cool side. She has an Arcadia t5 uvb combo fixture that is about 6 months old. She looks good, is responsive, alert and active for a dragon. I'm assuming she is healthy, but can't figure out why healthy dragon is refusing food.

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

I remember now! It's not really a long term solution as it isn't designed for insectivorous type animals. Short term no problems but long term not a good idea. We had a dragon this year who came out of brumation then refused to eat for nearly three months. If you are managing to get his mouth open try popping some crickets in this should help, otherwise it's a matter of hoping he does come round. :cry:

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:25 am 
EGG
EGG

Oh, if only Rick. I am able to get her mouth open using a credit card, so I was trying to get a few roaches in her, but that little shit spits them back out even if I get the whole thing in there! Yep, she keeps pushing her tongue forward and I have to literally hold her mouth closed or she spits it back out. That's why she is on carnivore care right now, it's easier to just squirt it down her throat. This lizard is driving me batty....I was told as long as I get a live feeder in her mouth she will automatically chew and swallow.......yeah right! I'll just keep putting her roaches and salad in daily and hope she starts eating, but in the meantime I at least know she is getting some nutrition with added calcium and probiotics with the other stuff. She's a piece of work :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Given her weight and the thickness of her tail (fat storage area) she has a good solid reserve to fall back on. Have you tried any of the assorted grubs available - super worms, meal worms, silk worms etc?

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:52 pm 
EGG
EGG

Superworms, waxworms , and mealworms were a no go. I just ordered some silks and horns to try. I don't have high hopes for those either. :evil: I'll let you know how we end up. Thanks

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

Calci-worms could be a good bet. I had success feeding my previous (ill) dragon crickets from the "can-o-crix". I think I bought them from pets at home. They are soft and dead obviously, calcium powder sticks to them nicely. I wouldn't say they are better than live for nutrition, but if they went down they are better than nothing.

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes