mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hi. I'm a newbie dragon owner. I took over the keep of a 6 year old female 2 weeks ago after the owners couldn't look after her anymore.
She's very tame, brilliant at being handled, and very alert and seems happy (waving, glass surfing, etc.) But she's been very spoilt and now seem stuck in her ways. She will only accept food from tweezers. If I leave anything in her bowl it just gets ignored and I throw it away a few hours later as it's dried. She won't even eat crickets or jumpers if they are left in her Viv. I have to individually feed her crickets using tweezers. And as she's been moved, she's a bit off at the minute (having read this forum I understand this is totally normal) and she is now refusing live food off the tweezers.
Today she's eaten 1 and a half grapes, 3 bits of Apple and a few bits of cucumber, but as soon as live food is offered, she closes her eyes and turns her head. I've left crickets in with her, but have even seen one sitting on her nose and she's ignored it!
Should I just give her some time to settle into her new home?
If I leave the live food and the fruit/veg in there, will she eventually eat it when she's hungry?
Or has she been so spoilt that it's going to have to be a case of literally spoon feeding her from now on?
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any advise that can be offered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Never run across one that spoilt so this will be an interesting exercise. First - how much does she weigh? That will give me an idea of how far she can be pushed to eat on her own. Secondly - you need to cut back the fruit and go for more veg, this will give you some ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html . Basically it's going to be a bit of a battle of wills where you hold back food then after a few days you introduce some live foods to see what happens. If you can get her weight first I'll then see what I can suggest.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 am 
EGG
EGG

Thanks for the reply Rick. I'll weigh her later when I get home from work and post a reply. Thanks for the veg tip too, the previous owner just said fruit!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Probably has a little weight problem from the sugar then :lol:

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
EGG
EGG

Freakily, she's 666 grams. (explains a lot :evil: )

I've been told she's a german giant if that helps?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

She's tubby!! There's a lot of discussion regarding "German Giants" - do they really exist? It seems they may originally have been a cross between Central and Eastern Beardies which would produce a large dark dragon. Since the 70's however anyone with a large dragon has been calling it a GG. She's plenty of weight on board :D so once she's settled in only provide her with mixed veg in a bowl daily, taking her over to it and picking bits up to feed to her for a few days and hopefully she'll get the idea of "help yourself". As for live food, this will need to be a bit more drastic as it's going to be withholding it totally for around a week then holding a roach (or whatever ) in tweezers but on/near the ground so she has to reach for it, once she gets the idea then try releasing the food just as she tries to grab it. Hopefully this should get her motivated. She can safely go without food a for a week or more so don't get worried that she'll starve.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 am 
EGG
EGG

That's great. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:34 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

It's going to need a lot of patience :shock:

Rick